GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

Like Keehs said, I wouldn't worry about it. Do what makes you happy. The drop-in filter works great if you're just looking for some more airflow, and you can do the dremel mod for when you want even more. But since it sounds like you're on stock tune you won't see much of a difference regardless
This. Many aftermarket intakes actually decrease airflow. Modern intakes are well designed and NOT the chokepoint for getting air into the engine. A complete and total waste of money on an otherwise stock car unless you want more noise.

That said, a dealer may well give you issues if you have any sort of engine issues because they will assume that you've flashed your ECU.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
This. Many aftermarket intakes actually decrease airflow. Modern intakes are well designed and NOT the chokepoint for getting air into the engine. A complete and total waste of money on an otherwise stock car unless you want more noise.

That said, a dealer may well give you issues if you have any sort of engine issues because they will assume that you've flashed your ECU.
Correct. The days of gaining 10-15hp thanks to an intake are long gone. Oem intakes have gotten very efficient.

I’d argue, on this platform at least. There’s not much to gain from an intake unless you’re gonna swap the turbo at least.

I have an intake on the stock turbo. I just wanted induction sounds. That’s all it’s really good for tbh

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Y

The dealer can just check to see if the ECU has been flashed.

cb1111

Correct. The days of gaining 10-15hp thanks to an intake are long gone. Oem intakes have gotten very efficient.

I’d argue, on this platform at least. There’s not much to gain from an intake unless you’re gonna swap the turbo at least.

I have an intake on the stock turbo. I just wanted induction sounds. That’s all it’s really good for tbh
Which is a perfectly good reason - as long as you have no illusions about moar HP.

cb1111

We know that there is kind of factory backed extended warranty that you can buy from VW.

Can one buy those from online dealers (like you can for Honda/Acura, Jeep/Chrysler, Mercedes) or are you stuck with the selling dealer?

Anybody have any thoughts about how much markup there is in these things? I know with Honda/Acura, that you can get the warranty that the dealer is flogging at they special just for you price of $2k for about $1100 online.

Same question on the maintenance agreements.

One of the people at the office is looking at an Atlas but wants to get a long warranty and she will go to the dealer for maintenance. I can't talk her out of the warranty and she thinks that the dealer servicing is better than an indy - I'm not going to argue.

cb1111

Not likely at all.
I've not heard of anyone losing their warranty because of an intake.
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, who said anything about losing warranty? I said "no warranty on this failure".

Quite simply, dealers are capable of trying to deny warranty service for the strangest reasons - some because they think you'll pay, some because they double bill and some because of ignorance.

If a dealer has had a chargeback from VW because VW determined that the failure wasn't covered by warranty, then they may overreact when faced with ANY mod.

This is where the educated consumer comes in to be able to say "please explain to me how my whatever mod caused or contributed to this failure."

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, who said anything about losing warranty? I said "no warranty on this failure".

Quite simply, dealers are capable of trying to deny warranty service for the strangest reasons - some because they think you'll pay, some because they double bill and some because of ignorance.

If a dealer has had a chargeback from VW because VW determined that the failure wasn't covered by warranty, then they may overreact when faced with ANY mod.

This is where the educated consumer comes in to be able to say "please explain to me how my whatever mod caused or contributed to this failure."
I'll reword it then. I have not seen an instance of VW or the dealer denying warranty coverage because of an aftermarket intake.

cb1111

I'll reword it then. I have not seen an instance of VW or the dealer denying warranty coverage because of an aftermarket intake.
I actually have seen a dealer (GM, not VW) denying warranty coverage on a MAF sensor failure thinking the aftermarket filter was an overoiled K&N, but it was a stock filter with a K&N sticker on the housing. The dealer never bothered to check and a call (based on my recommendation) to GM fixed it of course.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I actually have seen a dealer (GM, not VW) denying warranty coverage on a MAF sensor failure thinking the aftermarket filter was an overoiled K&N, but it was a stock filter with a K&N sticker on the housing. The dealer never bothered to check and a call (based on my recommendation) to GM fixed it of course.
That makes sense. Considering it usually happens

FlashyRed

Car(s)
MK7 GTI, MK5 Jetta
Thanks for the input guys.

Just wanted some noise. I've been around the block when it comes to turbo cars and know that if you want power, tunes and Big turbos setups are the only way.

I was trying not to embrace my inner ricer and throw a filter on a stick on it but you guys deterred me. Guess I'll just do a better filter when the stock one becomes shot.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
does the car need to flat in order to perform the diff service? i wanna say i saw a video before saying that it needs to be, but i can't remember for sure...i know it needs to be at a certain temp