GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Heat kills batteries, not cold. Given the close proximity to the turbo, insulation would be nice. Given the life expectancy of the batteries, it probably doesn't matter.
That's partially true. Heat accelerates the chemical reaction in car batteries while cold slows it down. Accelerating the chemical reaction will speed corrosion of the metal plates, leading to premature failure of the battery. Slowing the chemical reaction reduces the voltage and amperage capacity, leading to inability to start the engine. While it doesn't shorten the life of the battery, it's still pretty inconvenient to be stuck somewhere unable to start your car when it's freezing cold. In So Cal, I understand you don't experience cold start problems, but in cold climates we experience it frequently. It's common enough that most cars here don't leave home without jumper cables in winter.

Elwood

3-7-77
That's partially true. Heat accelerates the chemical reaction in car batteries while cold slows it down. Accelerating the chemical reaction will speed corrosion of the metal plates, leading to premature failure of the battery. Slowing the chemical reaction reduces the voltage and amperage capacity, leading to inability to start the engine. While it doesn't shorten the life of the battery, it's still pretty inconvenient to be stuck somewhere unable to start your car when it's freezing cold. In So Cal, I understand you don't experience cold start problems, but in cold climates we experience it frequently. It's common enough that most cars here don't leave home without jumper cables in winter.
I was born and raised in Montana. I am more than familiar with cold weather, cars, and batteries. Hot weather is harder on batteries. In cold weather, you usually have some indication that a battery is dying. In the heat, they just fail with little to no warning. They also do not last as long.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
getting a squeaky wet sneaker sound from the left suspension after I washed my wife's GLI S.

its a 2020 DSG, 5400 miles. Where should I start trouble shooting?
I actually noticed the same thing today after installing a bfi dogbone insert...only noticed the sound when letting off boost around 3k

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
That's a recipe for absolute disaster.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...esidual-pressure-valves-and-seal-lube.376654/

Step 3 and 4 here say to depress the pedal and then undo the lines. I'm not sure how that would prevent any brake fluid loss as the lines always have brake fluid in them regardless of pedal position.

Also I'd think keeping the pedal depressed and then opening any fittings would just cause fluid to come gushing out and the pedal to hit the floor.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I think this might count as a dumb question, but anyone else have this issue with their headlight switch? Mine leaks light out the seams like a sieve. It's an OEM euro switch.

Attachments

• IMG_9082.jpeg
    IMG_9082.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9083.jpeg
    IMG_9083.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 75

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
You sure it is an OE switch?
Seems like it? Here’s some pics of the back and packaging if anyone is able to confirm:

Attachments

• 5220E851-2E1A-4C43-8400-D4C056FE1454.jpeg
    5220E851-2E1A-4C43-8400-D4C056FE1454.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • 00B37633-58F8-4167-B8E7-E981C246BC12.jpeg
    00B37633-58F8-4167-B8E7-E981C246BC12.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • 3996B4C5-05E6-43CE-8641-5481EEBDFF2E.jpeg
    3996B4C5-05E6-43CE-8641-5481EEBDFF2E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72

FlashyRed

Car(s)
MK7 GTI, MK5 Jetta
Random stupid question.

Does anyone know how dealers treat Intakes? Ik this based on a individual dealer situation but thought I'd get the temperature in the room about it.

Thinking about picking up a IE intake or should i just say fuck it and do a K&N drop in?

Thanks!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Random stupid question.

Does anyone know how dealers treat Intakes? Ik this based on a individual dealer situation but thought I'd get the temperature in the room about it.

Thinking about picking up a IE intake or should i just say fuck it and do a K&N drop in?

Thanks!
To be real with u. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a dealer get pissy over one. Since 2006 or 2007. Had a neon srt4 back then. Since then. I’ve had multiple cars. And dealers just haven’t given a F

now if your intake filter chunked off and got sucked in and damaged your turbo. Your outta gas on that one. Obviously

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Random stupid question.

Thanks!
Like Keehs said, I wouldn't worry about it. Do what makes you happy. The drop-in filter works great if you're just looking for some more airflow, and you can do the dremel mod for when you want even more. But since it sounds like you're on stock tune you won't see much of a difference regardless