GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R - Oily Spark Plug

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
Just did my first spark plug change on a 2016 R at 38k miles. Upgrading to rutheniums and going stage 2.

I was a little concerned with the cylinder 1 plug being covered in oil though it sounds somewhat common. The coil pack wasn't covered in oil and I wrapped my socket in paper towel and tried to absorb any more but there wasn't much.

Besides that I think the rest looked reasonable?

Attachments

• PXL_20210124_183906543.jpg
    PXL_20210124_183906543.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 222
  • PXL_20210124_190119460~3.jpg
    PXL_20210124_190119460~3.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 224

BlackT5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I would do a leak down test on all cyl or bare minimum a compression test before going to the next stage.

Better safe than sorry.

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
Do you have a manual trans with upgraded clutch?

If not, it could just be failed valve cover gasket ring.

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
Upgraded clutch just about to be installed.

For what's it's worth the car felt smoother on the new plugs whether placebo or not but the oil is disheartening

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Shifted crank = shifting piston = no more cylinder wall seal = oil passing through to spark plug

I would say OP's issue is more so two things... a valve cover gasket (which really isn't a gasket) is leaking and probably his piston rings are failing.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Shifted crank = shifting piston = no more cylinder wall seal = oil passing through to spark plug

I would think if the crank moved enough to affect the piston seal, the bearing would be gone already? Likely all four cylinders would also have failed?

I also don't see any evidence of oil on the tip of the plug.