GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CarPlay issue - audio crackling/distortion on calls

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Hi all -- long shot, but I figured I'd check and see. I'm experiencing an issue with phone calls via CarPlay in my 2019 GTI SE. After about 5-10 minutes on a call, the audio becomes distorted, almost like crackling. Unplugging/replugging fixes it temporarily, but it happens again after several minutes. Occurs on multiple iPhones and kinds of cables, so it's either a bug in iOS 14 or an issue with the head unit (force restart of infotainment didn't resolve.) I took it down to my local VW dealer to check and see if there might be a firmware update available for the infotainment system but they insisted on charging a $150 diagnostic fee to do so, so I declined that route. Wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing?

(Attached a screenshot of the head unit info; no idea if this firmware is the latest or not.) Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7461.jpeg
    IMG_7461.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 94

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Update: in case anyone else is experiencing something similar, VW Customer Care let me know there's a TSB for it:

91-19-03 - MIB2 MQB Composition & Discover Media Infotainment
Customer can report one or more of the following: Infotainment system freezes or reboots, Infotainment display is blank or black, Loss of audio output, Volume control malfunctions, Navigation system malfunctions, Poor call clarity during hands free call.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
A lot of the CarPlay stuff can be solved with a new lightning cable. Mine was freezing, going dark and audio wouldn’t play. A new cable fixed all of that for me. I was using a cheap Amazon cable, using an official Apple cable solved everything for me.