GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Snow brush that doesn't scratch the clear coat?

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I'm finding the tornado red and/or clear coat shows scratches just by looking at it.. For the winter can anyone recommend a soft snow brush that won't scratch
the paint? I have several but they all seem rough.
IMG_0146.JPG
I've been using these microfibre dusters. Got 2 of them from Home Depot. rotate them. Better than a brush but any brushing still scratches.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
No brush if you like your paint.
Wash it good and apply bead maker at minimum.
Wash, polish and coat it at maximum, top with bead maker.
If yiu rub anything across car without a slip agent it will scratch.
Detailer spray of some type of you have to wipe down, but better is a wash.

If one must see what he says. I did not watch but normally good advise.

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Don't think that will work so good with snow. 😂
They actually work great (y) for constant light stuff couple of inches less but obviously a foot so no. Then I wrap my brush in a micro fibre cloth.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I use the snowbrum on our ink blue audi and it does a great job of keeping scratches out. Look up the color if you've never seen it, it's veeerrrry dark. Keep in mind I polished it out to near perfection once, then ceramic coated it, then my preferred cocktail of "polishes/waxes". So far it has been two winters, coming third, and I still have virtually no swirls. The snowbrum has been used about 8 times with up to 8" of snow, and I never push with it, only pull the snow. Most other times the car is garaged and sees a bath monthly, but the past year with a baby has made that impossible so it has been twice. The swirls are still 95% at bay compared to when I bought it from Colorado second hand and the previous owner had clearly used a brush and car washes for exactly one winter.

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I use the snowbrum on our ink blue audi and it does a great job of keeping scratches out. Look up the color if you've never seen it, it's veeerrrry dark. Keep in mind I polished it out to near perfection once, then ceramic coated it, then my preferred cocktail of "polishes/waxes". So far it has been two winters, coming third, and I still have virtually no swirls. The snowbrum has been used about 8 times with up to 8" of snow, and I never push with it, only pull the snow. Most other times the car is garaged and sees a bath monthly, but the past year with a baby has made that impossible so it has been twice. The swirls are still 95% at bay compared to when I bought it from Colorado second hand and the previous owner had clearly used a brush and car washes for exactly one winter.
(y) exactly , same, Ceramic coating is the key with good waxes or sealants. PPF like Xpel is amazing stuff.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Hijacking my own thread.. I assume you guys have PPF on the front hood then? If so, how do you deal with the straight edge of the PPF part way up the hood not collecting wax, dirt etc such that one may have a line there when the PPF is taken off?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Well glad I'm not alone for using hot water or even the leaf blower, at times.

But I swear my neighbors (and possibly yours?) have to think I'm crazy for some of the shit I do.

Hahaha definitely. My neighbor saw me come home yesterday with a bunch of wheels in my car, and when I responded that I just drove to Pittsburgh and back (9+ hour RT) to pick up some wheels for the car, their response was “What was wrong with the other ones?” Lol...

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Hijacking my own thread.. I assume you guys have PPF on the front hood then? If so, how do you deal with the straight edge of the PPF part way up the hood not collecting wax, dirt etc such that one may have a line there when the PPF is taken off?

What??? This whole question is confusing. Why would you ever remove the PPF?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
What??? This whole question is confusing. Why would you ever remove the PPF?
PPF has a lifespan and will yellow/thin/dull. It also has a period in life where it's easy to remove, and then as it ages after it becomes more difficult. Depending on the quality of the film this can be from 3 to 5 years.

That was a great question actually and one that I've struggled with in the past. When using the wrong product you can make things very difficult for yourself. I get stuff like compounds, polish, and wax stuck there all the time, but a good microfiber and using a toothpick or your nail to press with can clean it out well. Just don't use any liquids or solids that dry quickly and if wiping after applying a synthetic wax, get one that has easy residue to remove. The Adam's butter wax, nufinish, opticoat, and the older chemical guys m sealer are all great products that I find super easy to clean up... or in the case of opticoat there is no clean up. If you ceramic coat it, you can go right over the ppf if it already exists, but it's preferable to remove first for paint correction and protecting the paint from the ppf layer (some installers claim this can extend your ppf working life, but I have no idea if that's true).

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie

Don’t use wax.
When I removed PPF the first time the line cleaned up. If issue, just clay bar it or use tar remover. Second film was wider so farther up hood. I think next time will just do full hood. Hoods are easier but let edges dry fully and use heat gun when you finally roll the edges. Adhesive promoter also.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
PPF has a lifespan and will yellow/thin/dull. It also has a period in life where it's easy to remove, and then as it ages after it becomes more difficult. Depending on the quality of the film this can be from 3 to 5 years.

That was a great question actually and one that I've struggled with in the past. When using the wrong product you can make things very difficult for yourself. I get stuff like compounds, polish, and wax stuck there all the time, but a good microfiber and using a toothpick or your nail to press with can clean it out well. Just don't use any liquids or solids that dry quickly and if wiping after applying a synthetic wax, get one that has easy residue to remove. The Adam's butter wax, nufinish, opticoat, and the older chemical guys m sealer are all great products that I find super easy to clean up... or in the case of opticoat there is no clean up. If you ceramic coat it, you can go right over the ppf if it already exists, but it's preferable to remove first for paint correction and protecting the paint from the ppf layer (some installers claim this can extend your ppf working life, but I have no idea if that's true).

when you wax, stay away from the edges of ppf. Simple as that

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
willing to wager that any snow that isn't pure powder less than 1" deep is more apt to scratch than the brush.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
willing to wager that any snow that isn't pure powder less than 1" deep is more apt to scratch than the brush.

And that’s life. Something some have to just deal with. I’ll try to minimize mine, and a windshield cover is the best approach for me. From there I try to clean off the top layer of snow, and clean around the door jams, then be on my way.