GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI Stern Rear Brace review (and iSweep) - 8.5/10, great mod!

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Got my Stern Brace today and installed it on my Mk7.5 GTI. Pretty simple installation. The test drive surprised me. I did not expect the level of improvement I got. Feels more solid and, surprisingly, it is more quiet. No groans from the back of the car. Well worth the expense.

IMG_3849.JPGIMG_3852.JPGj-stern.jpg

philg07

If you had to pick one, would it be the Stern brace or some sort of interior hatch brace. I'm really looking for "on track" improvement for the rear. Already have a RSB.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
yeah, for sure do both if you can, but my own opinion ranked in order for bank/buck for rear bracing here is what I personally think:

1. the ECS rear subframe collar copy of the tyrol kit at $40 and 1 hour install time seems like a slam dunk just because so cheap and easy and makes noticeable improvement
2. Stern brace because is only $150 and so easy to install
3. then these made more improvement then I expected and are also only $100 and extremely easy install, but the fitment was terrible (like most ECS parts) and I had to dremel two of the holes a bit to get it to fit my car but so cheap and easy and they really help keep the rear control arms from shifting, you will notice the improvement the second you back out of your driveway immediately. Be careful not to over torque the two smaller bolts in the middle of the car or you will regret it.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...-set-wrinkle-red-powdercoat/020825ecs01-02~a/

the three parts above for $290 total and a few hours to install all of them seem like a slam dunk to me. They made an enormous improvement in how my car feels when going fast but also it just feels way better around town over potholes and stuff and even made my car feel a little quieter somehow

4. then Eurosport rear X brace makes a very noticeable improvement, maybe more to similar vs some of the other items above, but $200 and bit more time to install is only reason why last, but love mine and can remove with one allen wrench I keep in the glovebox in <4 minutes if ever need to fold down the seat.

but all of these above together for <$500 total and maybe cheaper on black friday will make a massive difference on your car

I also overpaid for the two Leyo braces on the bottom and didn't notice any real improvement from them so i can't recommend those.

for the Front:

1. strut tower brace, immediate improvement and helped ride quality and no downside, also easy install and not expensive.

2. super pro control arm bushings in stock control arms, these were maybe a mild improvement in corner grip and reduced wheel hop but really decreased ride quality more than expected.

3. Tyrol deadset front kit. certainly made an improvement but less than I expected and this was expensive.

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Just installed the Stern brace today WITH the Audi harmonic damper installed. I'll report back if any issues come up.

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
What were you able to TQ those nuts to on the damper studs?
Yes, they were torqued to 20 ft/lbs with no lubrication, as per Golfdave's info in his thread.

Took the car up the mountain for a shakedown. No issues with the harmonic damper installed with the Stern brace that I can report so far. Really liking the brace, you can feel a difference right away and especially in the turns.

Leonardp

Go Kart Newbie
So I’m confused by the number of choices of braces available for different areas of the car....front, rear, center, tunnel, interior, etc. I have upgraded front and rear sway bars already. Can anyone make this simple for me to understand what might benefit me? My car (2015 GTI Autobahn) is a daily driver and since I live near the mountains just some occasional weekend fun driving. Thanks in advance.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Just installed the Stern brace today WITH the Audi harmonic damper installed. I'll report back if any issues come up.
Just an update, I've now had the Stern brace installed for over a month with the Audi damper and have not had any issues with either👍