GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The UK might ban fossil fuel cars by 2030

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Ban the sale of new ones. If they do they need to get the charging stations rolled out very quickly as they are few and far between now.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Hmm....wonder how long the will electrical grid will lag the capacity to charge these cars; as the start to force fossil fuel vehicles off the road.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
CA passed the same thing, by 2035. No plans or ideas for achieving it, just "inventing" by legislation.

People in the state of CA buy 2 million or so new cars every year. Can't even keep their power on now, can't wait to watch them try to plug in 2 million new electric cars every night that first year. year two should be absolutely hilarious.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
CA passed the same thing, by 2035. No plans or ideas for achieving it, just "inventing" by legislation.

People in the state of CA buy 2 million or so new cars every year. Can't even keep their power on now, can't wait to watch them try to plug in 2 million new electric cars every night that first year. year two should be absolutely hilarious.

Typical Cali legislation. READY, FIRE, AIM! 😂

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Typical Cali legislation. READY, FIRE, AIM! 😂
Remember.... keep your thermostat on 78deg+(or is it 82deg now?) and turn off all your lights at 6pm...to save all the electricity for the san fansisco elites 12K dollar freezers and ice cream(to save the planet....of course).

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R

Just another way for the powerful elites to ration free movement of regular folks....( I can't move out of the state and take my taxes elsewhere((vote with my feet))....my eletric car is geofenced to cali boarders...for my own protection...you see).

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just another way for the powerful elites to ration free movement of regular folks....( I can't move out of the state and take my taxes elsewhere((vote with my feet))....my eletric car is geofenced to cali boarders...for my own protection...you see).

Shhh don’t say that too loud, NJ is looking for new and exciting ways to be as bad as Cali

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I read up on California's emissions rules. Did you know there are 12-13 or so other states in a compact that will follow Cali's rules? NY and NJ of course. CA can't generate enough electricity now in the summer, so how are they going to support all the electrics? And gas stations will need to install high output chargers. There's Tesla Superchargers and Electrify America Chargers but they're more for taking long trips.

Carmakers will need to ramp up for the rush to buy fossil fuelers the year before the new law takes effect.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just a load of BS from UK Gov!!......I worked for the electrical power distribution lot up here & there is no way the existing down the street cables or substation can cope.....not even with the added forced switch to get rid of gas central heating..but they like electric driven heat pumps...don't worry there was a report out recently which admitted that those nice smart meters the Gov has been forcing the power companies to install..well they will use those to shut off your electric car charging & heat pump if the power draw is too much & the grid can't cope....like in the middle of winter!!...

Green eco warriors plugging a stupid badly thought out knee jerk reaction, which totally misses the bigger polluters....I've had a few very funny conversation with those types...usually ending with them silent as they slowly realise I'm more eco than they are & that their stupid ideas are missing the point!!...MUPPETS!!

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Just a load of BS from UK Gov!!......I worked for the electrical power distribution lot up here & there is no way the existing down the street cables or substation can cope.....not even with the added forced switch to get rid of gas central heating..but they like electric driven heat pumps...don't worry there was a report out recently which admitted that those nice smart meters the Gov has been forcing the power companies to install..well they will use those to shut off your electric car charging & heat pump if the power draw is too much & the grid can't cope....like in the middle of winter!!...

Green eco warriors plugging a stupid badly thought out knee jerk reaction, which totally misses the bigger polluters....I've had a few very funny conversation with those types...usually ending with them silent as they slowly realise I'm more eco than they are & that their stupid ideas are missing the point!!...MUPPETS!!
It's because it's not about the environment....it's about controlling "your" behavior and consolidating power with the wealthy oligarchs...all in the name of saving the planet...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

I didn't consider the wire down the streets here. There's still plenty of old houses with limited service and electric resistance heat.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I didn't consider the wire down the streets here. There's still plenty of old houses with limited service and electric resistance heat.

Its called "de-rating" .....(talking about our grid, but basics apply over there):- the main incomer cable into the house has a 100amp fuse....the cable down the street has three cores (R,Y,B), each core is circa 230volt, single phase. outer guard screen (under the visible black rubber outer) of this cable is the "earth".....Each core will say supply 10 alternate houses....

So the street will be:
Red core will supply House no: 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, etc
Yellow core will supply House no: 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, etc.
Blue Core will supply House no: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, etc.

Now the power supply & distribution companies work out that that the peak load is NOT all houses drawing 100amps at the same time, so the cable doesn't have to be 100A x 10 houses x3 cores = 3,000Amps rating.....

You will find that the whole 3 core main cable will have about a 2,000Amp rating.....

Unfortunately with now putting huge kW loads in terms of car charges & heat pumps, also totally wiping out any previous "savings" from fitting LED light bulbs & more efficient fridges/cookers/hoovers/air con units etc...

In UK electric car chargers for the home start at either 3kW or 7kW....so that's 13A or 30A....& to supply every one of those 30 homes with a 30A charger requires 30x30= 900A cable capacity....

This is why they want everybody to have smart meters as they will need to "balance" the power draw of the houses in the street! So your car charger will be shut off or timed, & your car may NOT be fully charged overnight as you think it would be!!!