GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

used car market ... wtf

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
When I went to the dealership to pick up an oil filter the salesman there told me to let him know if I ever wanted to sell my GSW. I think dealers are low on stock and they know the used car market is going insane.

The GSW isn't really replaceable at this point so no point in letting it go only to go buy something else overpriced on the used market.
Yeah, a carmax employee told me the other day that they can't put hold on cars because of how many consumers are buying cars right now. Which is pretty crazy. On top of that, he said that they aren't having enough used cars coming in right now.
Guess you could say business is booming for them...

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Used 7.5 Rs are selling (or at least being listed) for more than I paid for mine new back in April. Glad I didn't wait on a cpo car like I originally planned.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
got my 2017 mt S for like 23.5 brand new, these prices are high imo at least for the car with 43k, the other wasn't there. I think its good for the sellers, really depends on the condition, mine as well go high if you can lol

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I think its good for the sellers

Yup!
Not a good time to buy a used car though, IMO (since you're essentially overpaying)

I traded in my leased '19 Charger Scat Pack after having it for only one year of a 3 year lease (MSRP of $44,500), and got $38k for it with 5k miles on it. I owed $34,800 on it and walked away with $3200. They have it listed up for $40k now.
Even though you could buy a brand new '20 for less since Dodge has the Power Dollars which is $4,850 right off the bat. Plus Employee or Friends/Family pricing & whatever eligible rebates. It makes NO SENSE whatsoever to consider used at that point, IMO. Granted, the new car inventory is pretty slim pickings though.

So I had scooped up a factory ordered '20 Scat Pack Widebody lease to replace that '19 Scat. But I wasn't a huge fan of the WB (fitment), so I just traded that car in after 1.5 months of a 36month lease. You would've THOUGHT I would've lost my ass on that deal. Nope. I owed $46k on it and the dealer gave me the $46k on it and I didn't roll anything over and I'm back in a fully loaded '20 Scat Pack for less than I was paying & $0 out of pocket.

And then my buddy with a '19 Challenger WB Scat Pack is 1.5 years into his 36 month lease. He owes $39k on it. Vroom is going to buy it for $44,600.
Crazy times

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I paid $18k for my GTI SE w/ 32k miles nearly two years ago. I could trade my car in right now for what I paid for it after driving it for two years and putting 18k more miles on it. It's crazy.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
The market is nuts. I grabbed my Poverty spec GSW used with 40k on the clock for 11.5K. 3 weeks to a month prior I was looking at wagons and you could find some early 2000s Subies for 2k.. After all the stimulus funny money came out, those same cars with leaky head gaskets were asking 4.5k.

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
The used car market got screwed up when manufacturers shut down for a few months April-June.
New cars sold well due to rebates and low interest. With no new cars coming in dealers had to fill lots with used cars. And then to make worse, there was/is a used car shortage because auction houses were closed down in the spring too!

normal to high demand, low supply, equals rising prices.

Hell, I bought a g35 coupe 4 years ago with 92k miles for 6k, similar examples are on autotrader for 8-9k!!!

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Used Golf R market is crazy right now. I’m holding off until the MK 8S start shipping. They’re literally 2-3K off invoice price, 2 years old. Total price gouging.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
My friend went car shopping yesterday. The used type r was the same price as the new one. Except the new one was marked up 5k over msrp LOL

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I bought a used FiST last year during BlackFriday (2016 that had 19K miles for a steal) and major used car chains are selling the same car for $2K to $3K more this year, at similar milage currently as mine. ~23k miles.

I suppose I could sell mine, but why. No car loan or anything. I use it once a week to run errands.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Wife and I an expecting our first kid in March, so we need to upgrade her car from her 2006 Mercury Mariner with 180k to something much newer. We've sort of settled on 3-5 year old Honda Pilots, but the prices those things fetch has me reconsidering it. Maybe instead we'll lease something instead. The market is wacky right now

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I bought a used FiST last year during BlackFriday (2016 that had 19K miles for a steal) and major used car chains are selling the same car for $2K to $3K more this year, at similar milage currently as mine. ~23k miles.

I suppose I could sell mine, but why. No car loan or anything. I use it once a week to run errands.

If you have other cars, now is a nice time to sell.

I'm debating doing that with my GTI. It's never going to be worth more than it is right now and I only owe $6k that I can pay off any time.

Smart money would part it out and unload it.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I just find it odd a 2018 Golf R manual is going for 35-37K. They were the same price new.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I just find it odd a 2018 Golf R manual is going for 35-37K. They were the same price new.

It's not the R market, it's the whole used car market.

Most 1-2 year old cars are within spitting distance of their new purchase price right now.