GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
The "grid view" is MIB2.5, the single line is MIB2.

You can't just toggle something on.
But it had grid view when I plugged it in, I also own an Atlas and this had Grid view with an MIB2. They even share the same part number's between my GTI & Atlas
You can DEFINITELY change it via coding. I don't remember off the top of my head but I know I've messed around with it and changes it. There are a few different options (high, gti, R, etc.)

Edit: looks like byte17, user interface skin
Screenshot_20201110-155359.png

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
You can DEFINITELY change it via coding. I don't remember off the top of my head but I know I've messed around with it and changes it. There are a few different options (high, gti, R, etc.)
You're thinking of the theme.

This isn't the theme, this is the fundamental UI.

The grid view is a characteristic of the MIB2.5 firmware, whereas the single line is a characteristic of both MIB1 and MIB2.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't have my MIB II anymore but I remember (I think, about 83% sure) that one of the skin settings did switch between grid and line view. At the time I was trying to find a way to get red accents without also having a GTI/GTD splash screen... spoiler, I couldn't get it and settled for blue so I wouldn't be a poser, haha.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
If you have vas5054 ill code it for you.
On other tools I dont know sorry.

Did you install anything before the job?

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Does anybody know what's needed to get the grid menu to work under the GTI vehicle type. My MIB2 unit came out of an Atlas and when I first installed it "pre activation" it displayed all the menu's in the Atlas profile (blue colors and car icon). Once Jack did my activation it was switched to the GTI theme (red colurs / logo's ect) this switches the menu icons to one long list a single row high and I absolutely hate it. Is there anyway to get the grid display back, I don't have option in the screen settings for list or grid.

Example Grid:

View attachment 192004

Example list:
View attachment 192006
Hold down the menu button for 10 seconds or so. It should enter “service mode.” Select “test mode” and then “HMI Skin Change.” From there select “STD8” for the grid

mattcony

Hold down the menu button for 10 seconds or so. It should enter “service mode.” Select “test mode” and then “HMI Skin Change.” From there select “STD8” for the grid

That’s awesome, so much easier to use. Just need that 8” screen life to finish it off !

Attachments

• ACD1342D-9930-4914-8F3F-E806BDB81E01.jpeg
    ACD1342D-9930-4914-8F3F-E806BDB81E01.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 572
  • 9CCE6B6A-FCB2-481E-A36B-96A5454929E1.jpeg
    9CCE6B6A-FCB2-481E-A36B-96A5454929E1.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 787

rollmops

Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI SE
My MIB1 died, I read this forum and got it done. I would like to thank George Ab for the great guide and the help to implement the changes by simaservis1108.
The fishing of the USB turned out not to be as bad as I thought from the description. In my case a piece of RG-6 coax cable did the trick almost immediately as you can pre-bend it but it is not too stiff by itself.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
The fishing of the USB turned out not to be as bad as I thought from the description. In my case a piece of RG-6 coax cable did the trick almost immediately as you can pre-bend it but it is not too stiff by itself.

Congrats. I modified description based on your input. "I found it easier to pull harness down from infotainment unit to cubby rather from cubby to infotainment. I removed the side panel and took a bicycle cable shroud (a piece of RG-6 coax cable will also work well) for fishing cabling."

Hey guys, please excuse my inexperience, just read through this entire thread and still have an issue coding my retrofit DP 9.2 CP removed. I have a 15 GSW MIB1 with Fender. I now have installed an MIB2 5 and DP 9.2 with no sound. Using OBD11, I've changed the 5F long code Byte 0 to 12 , tried also changing it to 2 and 22, no difference.

Anything else I could try to help?

Also, do I need to first enter the green engineering Test Mode first to enable any of the coding to take affect? I've done some other changes and didn't do that first, so don't think so.

Thanks for any help...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201119-073606_OBDeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_20201119-073606_OBDeleven.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 141