GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC Retrofit

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm doing basically the same but running behind the seat (where the seat cushion meets the seat back) then out the same grommet. I don't have good pictures but I have wires running left to right in that area already for my audio setup. I have them covered in spiral wrap for protection but they're not rubbing on anything.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Made the last of the major orders this evening to complete this retrofit... B4 Damptronics all around (from Rock Auto, best price by over $300), new front bearing assemblies for my used aluminum knuckles, pads and rotors for the Macan calipers, new strut bearings (Audi TT PN 8S0412249), new hardware for all one time use bits.

My current B8/H&R Sport setup has been on the car for maybe 2,000 miles 🤦‍♂️. Unfortunately they are TDI specific parts so I'm not expecting them to be easy to sell despite being lightly used.

Also found these torsion beam stone guards while looking at Seat Leon part breakdowns. Don't know if they'll fit but I'll give them a shot at about $50 for the pair, PN 5Q0501560G and 5Q0501560H...
Screenshot_20201031-213939__01.jpg

The only thing left is to decide on markings/logos for the calipers. Would like to do something unusual like TDI but in the GTI font. Or should I just keep it classic with the Brembo logo... thoughts, suggestions?

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Just a quick post about that Rivet Nut.

Found the a kit called "Keadic 126Pcs Metric Rivet Nut Assortment Kit 304 Stainless Steel - M3 M4 M5 M6 M8 M10" on Amazon for about $13 and they where nice enough to get it to me in a day 😁. I was able to install the rear acceleration sensor with it. The kit has rivet nuts that will also work for the rear level sensor if you want to do it OEM style. I originally used regular nuts to secure the rear level sensor but I'm going to go back and install rivets for it.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I managed to get all the rivnuts from VW but I don't have a rivnut tool... so I'm using my Home Depot hardware equivalent. Do you have a rivnut tool? I will likely never do another after this so I don't want to spend anything more than Harbor Freight tool money but I'm not sure a cheap rivnut tool is safe. The Home Depot hardware is higher grade than the rivnut (I suspect) and worked okay though not great.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
I found a YouTube video on how to install them with a bolt and 2 nuts. It works out but the bolt deformed after the intense pressure 😂. I’m with you, I’ll probably never use it again so not trying to spend the money on it.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I probably used the same video... I just bought the highest grade M6 bolt/nut they had. I didn't notice any deformation after the first use for the rear accelerometer. I bought a few though so I'll see how they look after each use and switch to another set. Front and rear B4 Damptronics should all be delivered today. It's really motivating me to finish this car but no time with work. Good problem to have during these times so not complaining by any means, just getting antsy driving the '06 corolla slushbox, haha.

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Cuzoe, i await your completion and share here the experience of magic carpet ride? I will embark later. I am not sure if i need to upgrade my headunit.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Got the harnesses for the rear dampers and left level sensor routed through the same grommet as the ABS today, so that's a win. I'll add pictures of all that later.

Definitely ran into a snag though which @Nuje is providing support in overcoming. The lower bushing of the rear damper does not fit into the opening of the torsion beam. Torsion beam is about 45 mm wide while lower bushing on the B4 damper is just shy of 60mm. Presumably that's the width of the bushing on all the Mk7s with IRS, so not mine, haha.

On my way to the auto parts store to see if they have a socket that clears the frame of the damper but sits on the frame of the bushing. Anybody replaced lower bushings on Mk7 dampers? Also wondering if the center bushing would push out of the larger rubber surround but I can't suss out if it's one piece or not. I'm thinking it is so pushing the entire thing out would have to be the goal.
IMG_20201107_201500.jpg
IMG_20201107_202317.jpg

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
You need to push the entire bushings out. Does the eye-ring of the B6 shock have the same ID? Then just swap.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It does. These bearings are an absolute... bear. I cannot therefore recommend this for any other TDI drivers out there... but it's done now.

Got the rear dampers in, wires run to said dampers. Rear level sensor installed, wire run done. Swapped out the rear ABS sensors to the ones required for ACC park assist, and rear cross traffic something or another. And GTI rear springs installed.
IMG_20201107_185435.jpg

IMG_20201108_041208.jpg

IMG_20201108_041816.jpg

IMG_20201108_041222.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Forgot to mention a frightening moment on the passenger side, realizing that the off shoot from the damper for the connector could not face inboard like the other side due to the DEF tank. Turns out it clears the hub when turned towards the passenger side. It's at it's closest with no weight on the suspension but doesn't make contact. As you load up (down) the suspension, simulated with my floor jack, the arc of the torsion beam gives you more clearance... whew!
IMG_20201108_073457.jpg
IMG_20201108_073502.jpg

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Wow, and here I’ve spent the whole week running this harness thinking it’s a lot of work 😅. I also ran the wires outside via the ABS grommets. The painful one was the front as you have to reach around what is the strut shaft for a lack of better words. I also found that the harness is super long so I pulled back the extra slack to the driver side back seat wheel arch. Will post a picture later. Got the module coded and one shock installed. Hardest part was trying not to use my impact driver for the top nut but ultimately had to hit it one time with it cause I could not get my torque wrench to fit at all.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
For sure the harness is incredibly long. I suppose it has to built for the largest car they claim it can be used with which would be the Atlas. Just hoping the rest of this goes smoother, haha.