GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rez delete and exhaust tip swap

sblake

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Hi, I recently bought two ECS chrome 4" tips for my MK7.5 R as well as a rez delete. Go to find out that the stock tips are spot welded in two spots making the removal very difficult Does anyone know of any workaround to get my 2019 Golf R stock tips off in an easy manner? Thank you for the help.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hi, I recently bought two ECS chrome 4" tips for my MK7.5 R as well as a rez delete. Go to find out that the stock tips are spot welded in two spots making the removal very difficult Does anyone know of any workaround to get my 2019 Golf R stock tips off in an easy manner? Thank you for the help.

They weren’t spot welded on older R, but FYI the exhaust itself is also oval under the chrome tips so you’re not going to just simply bolt on anything anyway

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
you need to grind off the spot welds

you obviously need to cut out your stock resonator via some manner, so grinding off some simple spot welds would make sense to do at the same time, no?

sblake

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
They weren’t spot welded on older R, but FYI the exhaust itself is also oval under the chrome tips so you’re not going to just simply bolt on anything anyway
yea, the clip is welded, and then on the top of the tip, there is an indent weld type deal. I brought it to an exhaust shop and he was unaware of how to take the tips off, so I guess it's up to me to figure it out. I dont think you can grind out a spot weld that is concave, right?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
yea, the clip is welded, and then on the top of the tip, there is an indent weld type deal. I brought it to an exhaust shop and he was unaware of how to take the tips off, so I guess it's up to me to figure it out. I dont think you can grind out a spot weld that is concave, right?

For what reason, the exhaust is OVAL under the chrome tip. ROUND TIP WONT FIT ON OVAL TUBING.

If you’re dead set on replacing tips they need cut off completely and nominal sized tubing added back so tips can be clamped or welded on.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Get a proper shop to do it and it'll be fine. Fuck spending thousands on fucking piping/muffler that does nothing but make noise.

20200723_133509.jpg

Apr 2.5"-4" tips on oem exhaust.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I am a shop who’s cut the oval tubing off and properly TIG welded aftermarket 4” tips on.

There’s nothing wrong with either route, modified OEM or a full catback, but the OP seems to be ignoring my input that there’s no way him removing the chrome outer portion of the tips will in any way allow him to clamp anything on.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
My first go around was a res delete but the exhaust was just about as quiet as stock.

Another option was to have the same shop fabricate a Y pipe from the mid section of the exhaust. This way I would have been able to keep the original valves if I wanted to by just cutting them off and rewelding them to the new setup. I was afraid to do this because if it didn't sound good, I was screwed.

The shop did tell me that they couldn't weld new tips on the stock exhaust by itself. There wasn't enough extra piping from the muffler to the tip, and it had close to a 90 degree bend. I eventually just decided to get a catback and remove the stock exhaust all in one piece. Now I have it if I ever need to sell the car, or if I just want to go back to stock.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
For what reason, the exhaust is OVAL under the chrome tip. ROUND TIP WONT FIT ON OVAL TUBING.

If you’re dead set on replacing tips they need cut off completely and nominal sized tubing added back so tips can be clamped or welded on.
This. You can heat and reform with a spreader but frankly it isn’t worth creating those weak spots

Last edited:

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I think when it's time to sell my Golf-R I'll just sell it with the Borla. While I have the stock catback in my storage space, 99% chance it will be left out on the end of my driveway on a trash pickup day one of these days for someone to pickup it up for free scrap metal.

So you went with the Borla after all.

Edit - nvmind. I see you had the Borla all along. Checked in the other exhaust thread where we were chatting in.

Last edited: