GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Are you a mod? I would have been except for your tone. Yes in fact the dealer techs can. But you seem intent on disputing facts. PM for a reply.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Are you a mod? I would have been except for your tone. Yes in fact the dealer techs can. But you seem intent on disputing facts. PM for a reply.

Post right in here how the techs can tell used 504 from used 508. No need to PM. Let's see your information.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
BTW, since 2019 it’s Exxon Mobil for VW factory fill and dealer use. OPs dealer using Valvoline notwithstanding. At least in the States.

Hmm, my dealer has the Castrol Edge Pro LLIV FE 0W-20 in the bulk drum. OTS bottles are G-E60-020-1Q-DSP part # so they must be the E/M stuff. I'm going to take in my own jugs for bulk fill when I need oil.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Post right in here how the techs can tell used 504 from used 508. No need to PM. Let's see your information.
No. You complain about my responses so I make the rules. PM me

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
If you wish. I’m tired of the sniping.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
508 0w-20 is a great oil for everyone that doesn't track their car. Do a couple track weekends with four 20 min sessions on track in 90+ temps with 280 deg oil temps and it will kill that oil. Just saying.
I will agree there. The thing is WHAT oil is withstanding 280* oil temps; most off the shelf (even specialty lubricants) begin to loose their "sheer" at/or around 260* - and there are areas in the engine near the exhaust ports that are at least 60-90* hotter than what the sensor is reading in the pan.
So, yes - if someone is going to be that aggressive, I would highly suggest getting their hands on an oil that has the ability to withstand "sheer" breakdown at that tempurature.
Heat is what breaks down the Additive & Modifiers of oil anyway and a solid 0w-20 can hold up pretty good, but beyond 260* shtuff breaks down pretty quick.

Last edited:

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Hmm, my dealer has the Castrol Edge Pro LLIV FE 0W-20 in the bulk drum. OTS bottles are G-E60-020-1Q-DSP part # so they must be the E/M stuff. I'm going to take in my own jugs for bulk fill when I need oil.

It makes sense that your dealer keeps Castrol in bulk. My 2020 owners manual states that "Volkswagen recommends Castrol engine oils". (pg 247) I would find it weird if the 1 quart jugs of VW 508 engine oil that you can buy from your local VoA dealer were Mobil 1 or something.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No. You complain about my responses so I make the rules. PM me

You could have posted your proof long before anyone commented.

Post it or shut up.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
There’s so much back and forth here. Can we just take the 86 triplets as an example of what happens when you track with 0w20? The second you hit 260f you start noticing pressure slowly dropping. Tossing in 5w30 fixes that completely!

TLDR stick to the 0w20. Period. But if tracking consider the 5w40 as a must have.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Lol, so dequardo sends me a dramatic PM telling me he blocked me and reported my post.

I'll assume he doesn't actually have proof that techs can tell used 504 from used 508.

Kids these days are so soft.
Screenshot_20201026-220847_Chrome.jpg

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Good lord kids.

@dequardo stop wasting my time reporting posts that you disagree with. Nobody is getting banned because you reported the post. Use that fact how you wish.

This is a public forum, get thicker skin....

No rules being broken from what I see here. Carry on.