GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R Not a mk7.5?

VivianBlack

Me neither, it should be clear cut and easy to find a chart or list from VW. Thats why I am hoping someone who reads this can shed some definitive light on this with some authentic VW documentation and not 3rd party articles, etc.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Kevinkar, the VW dealership I purchased the car at and VW itself are saying my car is a MK7 as well. When I chated with VW they did ask for my vin and told me it is a MK7. Again, If anyone on here has access to it I would love to see an actual VW document that shows how to determine what MK your car is, wether by vin or date of manufacture, etc.
Well, time for you to post some pictures of it inside and out.

GolfR-BA

Passed Driver's Ed
Was 7.5 an official designation from VW? I thought it was a non-official way to differentiate the mid cycle refresh. If so, it would explain the dealer calling an ‘18 a MK 7..?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Mk7 dash on the left and 7.5 on the right. Big difference between the old analog gauges and the new digital dash as well as the different entertainment unit.

1602378623119.png

If you have a Mk7.5 dash in a Mk7, that's got to be very rare!

Subtle differences in the front and rear too (different grills and headlights and taillights.)

VivianBlack

Here is front of car, updated interior, and date of manufacture.

Attachments

• viv1.jpg
    viv1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 115
  • viv2.jpg
    viv2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 105
  • viv3.jpg
    viv3.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 96

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Was 7.5 an official designation from VW? I thought it was a non-official way to differentiate the mid cycle refresh. If so, it would explain the dealer calling an ‘18 a MK 7..?

I've never thought of it this way. You might right. The "7.5" might just be a designation from VW owners to differentiate the facelift models. To Volkswagen...they are all Mk7's. The Mk7 body.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've never thought of it this way. You might right. The "7.5" might just be a designation from VW owners to differentiate the facelift models. To Volkswagen...they are all Mk7's. The Mk7 body.

The OP should ask his dealer if there is such a thing as a Mk7.5. The aftermarket companies all designate an 18 as a Mk7.5.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah just from reading through this, it seems reasonable to surmise that the "MK7.5" designation is an unofficial designation used by the common-man to distinguish between the facelifted models and the pre-facelifted models. Yet from a manufacturer perspective, they probably don't consider it a "7.5."

To the OP's original point, which was essentially "will this fit my car," anything this is designed for a 2018 Golf R will fit a 2018 Golf R. Anything designed for a 2019 will fit a 2019. If you have a DQ381, you'll get a DQ381 tune. If you have a DQ250, you'll get that tune. I'm pretty sure all parts fitting any MK7 will fit any MK7.5 aside from software.

VivianBlack

20201011_132507.jpg

And to your point Dog Dad Wagon, here is one example of why this becomes really confusing as far as getting parts and accessories. Even COBB lists tunes by MK and not year or Transmission type. As you can see when ordering I would think I need to select MK7.5 as I have a 7 speed dsg.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
View attachment 188500
And to your point Dog Dad Wagon, here is one example of why this becomes really confusing as far as getting parts and accessories. Even COBB lists tunes by MK and not year or Transmission type. As you can see when ordering I would think I need to select MK7.5 as I have a 7 speed dsg.

and I would agree with your assessment. Like I said above - if you have a DQ381, you need a DQ381 tune. The above isn’t that confusing - it says 7-speedDSG which is all you need to know.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Yeah just from reading through this, it seems reasonable to surmise that the "MK7.5" designation is an unofficial designation used by the common-man to distinguish between the facelifted models and the pre-facelifted models. Yet from a manufacturer perspective, they probably don't consider it a "7.5."

To the OP's original point, which was essentially "will this fit my car," anything this is designed for a 2018 Golf R will fit a 2018 Golf R. Anything designed for a 2019 will fit a 2019. If you have a DQ381, you'll get a DQ381 tune. If you have a DQ250, you'll get that tune. I'm pretty sure all parts fitting any MK7 will fit any MK7.5 aside from software.

It doesn't seem like corporate designates a "7.5". VW does make running changes to the cars in the bodys life cycle. Like cosmetic changes in the 2018 and up cars. You can't fit a 2017 muffler onto a 2018 car. The cutouts are farther apart on the 2018. Also the 2019 GTI (not sure about the R)...the AFR wire is different. I had a Mk3 back in the day and looking at an early Mk3 vs a late Mk3...you'll see a number of changes in the engine bay of the car. First time I've ever heard of the ".5" was the Passat B5.5 in 2001...and that was a facelift car. I don't think that was anything official. Its just a mid cycle refresh of the car.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I use .5 to designate between facelift and pre-facelift as a number of changes happened. Fenders/headlights are different. To me I think the tuner OP mentioned is designating them based off the engine changes and the different spec oils required. As I said earlier, The 19s I believe use 0W20 VW508.00 oils. Older models I believe are 502 or 504 spec. I think this is accompanied by different ECU settings stock on the engine.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I read that the change to the 20wt was for better fuel economy. Nothing else was changed. There is a whole thread on it. Some switched to using 5w-40.

I went to some German tuner websites and I didn't see them using "7.5". They just use the word facelift. Oettinger, Abt, SRS Tec, and Rieger use this.

Last edited: