GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI with Check engine light needs help (P2015, U102F, U1030, P030x)

PenguinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone, I own my GTI since day 1. Still love it after 9 years. It has 52k miles mostly city.
Recently I am not able to pass NJ state emission. I spent two months DIY and still not able to fix

I have the following codes:
P0300 - Random Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Condition
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Condition
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P2015 - Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1
U102F - Fan Identification Sensor: No Communications radiator sensor
U1030 - MAP sensor malfunction

For P0300-0304 fix:
I upgraded ignition coils and spark plugs:
https://www.urotuning.com/products/ignition-tune-up-kit-2-0t-w-red-r8-bosch-coilpacks
still got misfire when cold start. so, I use seafoam.
I tried this method
and also put seafoam into gas tank. consumed two cans of seafoam.
still got misfire.

I would like to get misfire fixed. hopefully It will pass emission.
As P2015 and U102F, U1030 has nothing to do with emssion.
But I don't know will they give me hard time on these codes?

In case, I can't fix it myself. Anyone know a honest shop near North Jersey area?

Thanks, Ralph

Your intake manifold may need replacing. If it breaks, it can cause the random misfires and a rough cold start.
Had same issue and had mine replaced with a carbon cleaning.

PenguinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Your intake manifold may need replacing. If it breaks, it can cause the random misfires and a rough cold start.
Had same issue and had mine replaced with a carbon cleaning.

Thank you JustGermanThings. I never thought they are co-related. it's all make sense to me now. how much you spent on this repair?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Pretty much all VW TSIs from 08.5-12 have the 10 year/120k mile injector/intake manifold warranty (at least in the US). P2015 alone is usually enough for diagnosis. They will replace it for free with the updated version and likely offer you discounted carbon cleaning while its off. You prob have a vacuum leak or something causing misfires in all 4 cylinders. The intake manifold can fail in a few ways, the flapper arm sensor dies, the flappers get stuck, or the flapper arm breaks and pop out causing a big vac leak. Its unlikely you had all your coil packs go bad at once. Idk about your MAF and rad code though might be other issues with wiring/ecu.

PenguinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Pretty much all VW TSIs from 08.5-12 have the 10 year/120k mile injector/intake manifold warranty (at least in the US). P2015 alone is usually enough for diagnosis. They will replace it for free with the updated version and likely offer you discounted carbon cleaning while its off. You prob have a vacuum leak or something causing misfires in all 4 cylinders. The intake manifold can fail in a few ways, the flapper arm sensor dies, the flappers get stuck, or the flapper arm breaks and pop out causing a big vac leak. Its unlikely you had all your coil packs go bad at once. Idk about your MAF and rad code though might be other issues with wiring/ecu.

Thanks BudgetPhoenix, I don't even know I have 10year/120k miles warranty on intake manifold. I will bring it back to VW then.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Your welcome you hopefully should be good to go, Call them up with your VIN to confirm first you qualify for that warranty. Tell them you have p2015 and, dont clear the code before going in.

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah def do what the others suggested for the p2015/manifold issue.
Bad news is that the U102F and U1030 codes are unrelated and are basically telling you that the G611 anti-tamper sensor thats attached to your radiator is starting to fail. This happened to me as well and is annoying cause it throws CELs like the rad was replaced with something other than the prem-air one, even though the correct rad IS installed.
and if i havent shit on your morning cereal enough yet... Im sorry to tell you that no amount of hope is going to get that car to pass emissions bc your assumption that U102F and U1030 arnt related to emissions in any way is incorrect in pretty much every way ha.
VW gets emissions credits from the govt by using the prem-air radiators in the CBFA cars so that code is thrown if the car thinks the rad is not the prem-air like it should be. Good news is it doesnt affect the car in any way, I drove mine with that CEL going on/off for like 2 years.. Bad news the sensor is not sold separately, only with rad, and your not passing emissions until its fixed.

But if your car isnt modded or at least doesnt have an intercooler, or any upgraded pipes then you can get the dealer to fix it for free under the PZEV warranty that alot of people dont know about and dealers prefer to keep it that way and might even try to convince you the car isnt PZEV to avoid paying the warranty claim. They tried to tell me even though my car was CBFA and had all the extra emissions crap, and even had a fucking sticker stating the car was PZEV, the dealership actually went as far to completely make up that it wasnt really PZEV certified meaning the 15yr/150k mile PZEV warranty that covers literally everything emissions related. A call to VW of America quickly confirmed the car was PZEV and apparently gave it to the dealer for blatantly lying.
So def check, youll be surprised how many things are covered

Last edited:

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
When I said the list is extensive, ha i fucking meant it

and pretty much every problem you listed relates to parts from that list

PZEV/AT-PZEV California Emissions Warranties
15 Years/150,000 Miles, whichever occurs first

Service Number/ Component

1714 Oil Filler Cap
1726 PCV Valve
1911 Coolant Level Sensor
1913 Coolant Fan Con. Switch
1970 Direct Ozone Reduction (DOR) Radiator/Sensor
1978 Temperature Sending Unit
2005 Fuel Filler Cap
2007 Filler Neck
2010 Fuel Tank
2019 Gravity Valve
2022 Activated Charcoal Line
2024 Canister Purge Solenoid/Valve
2025 Canister
2038 Fuel Feed Line
2039 Fuel Return Line
2044 Fuel Line
2048 Leak Detection Pump
2057 Pressure Relief Valve
2058 Fuel Accumulator
2065 Fuel Pump Relay
2130 Turbo Charger
2143 Charge Inter-Cooler
2164 Over Run Cut-off Valve
2168 Pressure Sender
2169 Solenoid Shut-off Valve
2329 Diesel Injection Pump
2340 1 Injector with Lift Sensor
2359 Diesel Air Mass Meter
2360 Diesel ECM
2425 Air Cleaner Housing
2426 Intake Air Temp. Sensor
2433 Switching Valve
2438 Heated Air Duct
2440 Injectors
2441 Fuel Distributor
2442 Throttle Body
2444 Throttle Position
2445 Air Flow Sensor
2447 Intake Manifold
2458 Fuel Pressure Regulator
2460 Cold Start Valve/Injector
2461 Throttle Position Sensor
2462 Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor
2468 Oxygen Sensor Relay
2469 Pre-Oxygen Sensor
2470 Electronic Control Module
2473 Post Oxygen Sensor
2481 Idle Air Control Valve
2510 Heated Oxygen Sensor
2511 Engine Control Module
2513 Differential Pressure Reg.
2514 VAF Sensor Position Sensor
2519 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
2525 Air Cleaner Housing
2527 Intake Air Duct
2540 Fuel Injectors
2544 Throttle Body
2548 Cold Start Valve/Injector
2555 Fuel Pressure Regulator
2560 Fuel Distributor
2562 Volume Air Flow Sensor
2567 Vacuum Amplifier
2568 Idle Air Control Valve
2574 Throttle Position Switch/Sensor
2580 Intake Manifold
2588 Idle Air Control Valve System
2604 CO Content Pipe
2610 Exhaust Manifold
2617 Exhaust Pipe (Manifold to Catalyst)
2639 EGR Valve
2640 Secondary Air Injection Shut-Off Check Valve
2641 EGR Vacuum Hoses
2642 EGR Temperature Sensor
2644 Solenoid Valve
2654 Thermal Vacuum Valve
2655 Secondary Air Injection Relay
2665 Secondary Air Injection Pump
2668 Anti-Backfire Valve
2670 Pre-catalytic Converter
2672 Three-Way Catalytic Converter Temperature Sensor
2673 Three-Way Catalytic Converter
2817 Ignition Coil Power Output Stage
2820 Ignition Coil (Tri-Coil Pack)
2823 Ignition System Control Module
2830 Distributor Assembly
2832 Distributor Cap
2834 Distributor Rotor
2839 Vehicle Speed Sensors (Camshaft Position Sensor)
2853 Spark Plug Wires
2855 Coil Wire
2870 Spark Plugs
2872 Knock Sensors
2873 Crankshaft Position Sensor
2884 Glow Plug
2885 Glow Plug Relay
3707 Park Neutral Switch
3730 Transmission Control Module
9009 Speed Sensor
9025 Instrument Cluster
N/A MIL Lamp

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
As stated previously, P2015 means you need a new intake manifold. Should be covered by VW dealer for free under the extended warranty. Tell them you want to pay the additional labor to carbon clean the intake valves. Should be 1-2hrs of labor @ dealership labor rates of ~$85-100/hr.

I can also confirm what was previously stated about the U102f and U1030 codes. They are caused by a faulty G611 radiator identification sensor. The sensor does nothing other than confirm the OEM radiator is installed. This radiator is coated in a catalyst that helps convert ozone; it is used for emissions credits. This is covered for your car under the 150,000 miles emissions warranty but many dealers will not know about this or be knowledgeable on it. If your car is not modified you shouldn't have too many issues getting VW to cover this repair for you.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

PenguinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you everyone, I took GTI to https://www.threecountyvw.com/. confirm, they replaced intake manifold for free under warranty. very happy. Overall I think they are honest. they were trying to sell carbon clean up service. but I didn't go ahead :) . they said the radiator code is not a problem. they also updated ECU firmware, so I guess software fixed the radiator code issue. Thanks again for you guys. I was trying to fix it myself without knowing it is under warranty :) Keep this community up!

AM407

Autocross Champion
You should have got the carbon cleaning done while the manifold was off (which VW paid for.)

Eventually you’re going to have to have it done, but now you’re going to have to pay someone to remove & install the manifold again.

I know dealers like to upsell questionable stuff, but the carbon cleaning isn’t one of those things.

PenguinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
You should have got the carbon cleaning done while the manifold was off (which VW paid for.)

Eventually you’re going to have to have it done, but now you’re going to have to pay someone to remove & install the manifold again.

I know dealers like to upsell questionable stuff, but the carbon cleaning isn’t one of those things.

i know it will be cheaper to do carbon cleanup while taking off intake manifold. but i prefer to save the money to install oil catch can to fix carbon build up for good. in the mean time, i will use seafoam.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Seafoam and CatchCan wont do squat to fix the Carbon Buildup. You should have paid them the $150 or so to get the carbon cleaning done. Then you would be good for 4-5years at a min.

PenguinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Seafoam and CatchCan wont do squat to fix the Carbon Buildup. You should have paid them the $150 or so to get the carbon cleaning done. Then you would be good for 4-5years at a min.
if it was $150, i will do it. but they ask for $460 even piggy back intake manifold job. standalone carbon cleanup, $1100.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
if it was $150, i will do it. but they ask for $460 even piggy back intake manifold job. standalone carbon cleanup, $1100.

Yeah, catchcan just prolongs between cleanings at best, Seafoam does nothing. But $460 to clean?????? That's insane. Nearly the entire job is getting the manifold off. That's like 4 hours of labor, what do they do use a wire brush by hand to clean each valve? lol