GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I have a fraction more front camber and same zero toe. Essentially the same front spring but in 8”.

Im at 5-clicks in the rear with a 450lb spring so I can see how you need to be at full stiff with a 750lb spring without a re-valve. I can see running 2 to 6 clicks stiffer rear to front. Your differential is 20. I get that’s what adjustments you needed to get the balance back. Is it just the fact that you have not re-valved the rears or is there something else causing you to run such a high rebound difference rear to front?

Does the rear 6” spring have enough stroke for the strut? I’m suspecting that its OK, as coil bind will give you snap oversteer. Any reason why you went 6” vs 7“ + helper?

Hey, I’ll put my hand up and admit if I’ve made a mistake or gone in the wrong direction. I will share the results after VIR. All I will be able to gauge is street comfort until then. I’m expecting firm but tolerable.
I can't really tell you if the spring has enough stroke, but I'm sure it does. I don't have near enough oversteer to suspect any issues.

I chose 6 inches because that was what was available in my spring collection without spending money. Though, with the spring coupler and helper, it was probably a wash money wise.

The front spring does not bounce, like the rear did at full soft. I may be able to run more than soft on the front, but that was a discovery at a points-event, not a test-n-tune so I didn't get to experiment with stiffer front settings.

I have an extra event this weekend, but likely only 4 runs, so not much time for testing.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
SUPERPRO FRONT ENDLINKS

A few folks have had there front SuperPro endlinks make contact with the inner fender. I had the sealant nibbled out the weld seam. Little to no metal to metal contact. I inspected the mounting tab on the Ohlins. No signs of contact, which surprised me because I thought that was the culprit. I planned on taking a die grinder to the corners to reduce the profile as much as I could.

Come to find out that it is the back edge/corner of the SuperPro balljoint that is making contact. Only happening on the passenger side, and must be happening when cutting the wheel to the right on full lock. Basically parking maneuvers at low speed.

I measured from the back of balljoint to the washer and it is 40mm. Below are the endlinks I have for my Cooper S. The same dimension is 30mm but the back of the balljoint is also tapered, providing even more wiggle room. These are sealed balljoints for those who are anti heir joints. Unfortunately the mini has 10mm and not our 12mm swaybar hardware. These are available in M12.

I’m at -2.5 degrees front camber and need more, so I need to solve this problem.

What front endlinks and camber are you folks running? Especially those in the -3 or more range.

3248612D-9273-46AA-9551-346F3B3FD96A.jpeg
1C4318B5-5D57-4E1B-98F6-383481293C12.jpeg
1C4318B5-5D57-4E1B-98F6-383481293C12.jpeg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Sounds like you're ending up with spring rates very similar to mine (80/110). I told you that you wanted a firmer rear spring. Fwiw, I use the shock adjusters to fine tune the handling balance and 10 clicks in front and 7 clicks in the rear (from full stiff) has my car at the balance I want, which is a very slight amount of understeer.

Yes Sir! You did give me that advice. Heck I wanted to get the R-spec Ohlins which had the 50lbs stiffer rear springs And Ohlins kept steering me away from it. I get the sense they are more concerned about street comfort and potential customer complaints.

So yes, very close to your spring choice. If I can get to a good neutral balance with good front end bite, I will be a happy camper.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I prefer to provoke oversteer intentionally rather than having to restrain my inputs to keep from provoking it unintentionally.
I’m in this camp. Heavier trail braking or a light lift, to get the rear to rotate, no problem. Generally in the tight 2nd gear corners.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Reactions: q74

bfury5

Autocross Champion
What front endlinks and camber are you folks running? Especially those in the -3 or more range.
I have the BC racing ones that came with my kit, they aren't rubbing that I know of (haven't checked recently, but haven't had any issues in the last 7 months). FWIW I think my endlinks are installed in the OEM orientation, not what BC recommended

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
SuperPro front Endlinks

I pulled my endlinks off to take some pictures for a sample.

As you can see. The contact is light, but any more camber will be an issue. Not SuperPro’s fault. I like their products. This is more an application issues.

Endlinks with heim joints/rod ends will likely provide a much smaller profile.

B395172A-DAAA-44C5-836E-1B9FC9FCAF19.jpeg
159F48EA-8495-41B6-B68A-BF95D8D3639F.jpeg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I think it's a combination of mounting tab location/type and height because the angle of the endlink changes based on those factors. I've got more room than you do it looks like, but I've also seen photos of other coils that appear you could touch 2.8 or 3 before contact.

Anyway, I decided to buy someone else's race car, so I will not be finishing up the brake duct build. The gti is going back to stock almost everything. If you like what I've built so far and could complete it, I'm happy to send it to you. All that's needed right now is to cut the pipe and backing plate, then weld. I was so close! Lol

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
What did you get?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If it all works out... 370z. I had one, I missed it, and it always seemed like a good strong platform for beating on.

They don't seem to be all that loved in the car community either, so they can be had pretty inexpensively.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I'd be lying if I said I didn't notice additional NVH from ground control camber plates. I could hear more tire noise and pot holes hit harder.

That being said, these changes are so minimal, if anyone is complaining about them, they're most likely installed wrong. Any passengers in my car would not notice a difference.
I should have clarified, no additional noise.