GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Boring cars look good in weird colors. Weird cars look good in boring colors. The Mk7 is such a boring design, much less interesting than the Mk6 or Mk8. The missing shoulder line really hurts it. But paint it a cool color, and it's so much better. Yes, I own white. Oops.
MK6 and MK8 are the ugliest and least interesting generations IMO. Well that and the MK5

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I think the MkV is a classic design. It's just dated compared to the hard edge designs of today.
The 5 is a low point, style wise and dynamics. But I still prefer the 6 to the 7. The 7 just feels like they phoned it in before they were really done. But dynamically, it's great, I'm not changing for a while.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
IMO, the 7 fixed the drabness of the 6.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
The 5 is a low point, style wise and dynamics. But I still prefer the 6 to the 7. The 7 just feels like they phoned it in before they were really done. But dynamically, it's great, I'm not changing for a while.
Are your sure you aren't thinking of the 4? The 5 was the exact same chassis as the 6, it was just a styling change (I think the engine change happened within the 5 body style and carried to the 6, but I could be mistaken). The 4 is widely regarded as the low point dynamically.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Are your sure you aren't thinking of the 4? The 5 was the exact same chassis as the 6, it was just a styling change (I think the engine change happened within the 5 body style and carried to the 6, but I could be mistaken). The 4 is widely regarded as the low point dynamically.
From what I recall, the 6 had the new TSI engines unless you got an R which carried over the FSI engine with cam follower.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
A mk7 with even a stg1 tune is a quick little car, but I really miss the VR6, no matter how stupid and unreliable it was. It had character.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
From what I recall, the 6 had the new TSI engines unless you got an R which carried over the FSI engine with cam follower.
The 2008.5 and above MK5's also had the TSI (EA888 Gen 1) engine that the MK6 had AFAIK.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Going home around 9. Pretty empty toll road. Never cops on this stretch. Except for this night. Tahoe state trooper. Just sitting there on the left shoulder.

Passed him at 150. Saw his brake lights come on. Figured he was putting it in gear to chase. Slammed on brakes and moved to right lane for the inevitable. Decided to take take the next exit though because "I needed gas". Never saw him again.

That being said, I don't think he ever gave chase. Didn't see any lights or anything.

I think I'm going to take it easy for a while. Used up all my luck.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Going home around 9. Pretty empty toll road. Never cops on this stretch. Except for this night. Tahoe state trooper. Just sitting there on the left shoulder.

Passed him at 150. Saw his brake lights come on. Figured he was putting it in gear to chase. Slammed on brakes and moved to right lane for the inevitable. Decided to take take the next exit though because "I needed gas". Never saw him again.

That being said, I don't think he ever gave chase. Didn't see any lights or anything.

I think I'm going to take it easy for a while. Used up all my luck.

The "needed gas" and "needed to pee" has worked for me before.

Have you tried the "I was just trying to put some distance between me and this crazy driver back there who kept swerving into my lane"? That has worked a few times for me before too. Cops seem sympathetic when you tell them your reason for speeding was to get away from someone who was driving recklessly.

AK66

Passed Driver's Ed
Agreed! I really wanted the radar controlled cruise control and the bigger head unit screen but there was no way I was going to drive a GTI that didn't have plaid seats.
Exactly! I believe, later in 2018 it became possible to have an SE or even Autobahn with plaid as a special order. But not in '17. Hey, at least our Sport is a '17 only, one-year trim! Maybe it will become a classic rarity one day!😄