GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm at .21 each side right now in front.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hmmmmm. I'm at zero toe rear. Maybe I'll zero out the front and add toe out in the rear.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I mean, it will turn quickly with the front toe out, I just don't want to drive every day at 55 while the front end plays games.

I think you're still within factory spec at .17 per side toe out front. Even at .21, the car drives fine and I'm not noticing any driveability issues on the street. I don't turn ESC off on the street, so if it did get a little rotatey on the street, the ESC completely kills the fun anyway.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
For me, the short story is I’ve increased the front rate from 400 to 425, raised the front ride height and decreased front rebound.

I think what you are alluding to when say make the front end happy, is to not overload the front tires.

This can also be done with higher front tire pressure, which I may test this weekend.

I entered this season woefully unaware of what slapping on 400 in/lb springs front and rear would do.

Thanks for continuing to push me to rethink my setup ideas and the underlying theories.
I tried playing with pressures on my tires (A052) and was able to get more grip out with lower pressures. Turn in wasn't affected too much, but I started to see noticeable wear after a few runs on the outside shoulder (even with -3.2 camber) after just a few runs so I bumped it back up. With the RE71 it might fare better with the stiffer sidewall

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I tried playing with pressures on my tires (A052) and was able to get more grip out with lower pressures. Turn in wasn't affected too much, but I started to see noticeable wear after a few runs on the outside shoulder (even with -3.2 camber) after just a few runs so I bumped it back up. With the RE71 it might fare better with the stiffer sidewall
I'm considering higher front pressures to act as more spring, to keep the tire contact patch from being overloaded, in the same way that Jackrabbit suggested that we try higher front spring rates to make the front "happy".

marka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Howdy,

What pressures were you running?

I've been using 36 front / 40 rear with 255 A052's on 18x9's.

I tend to be pretty insensitive to pressure changes, but still curious what others are using.

Mark

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
245/40 17 RE71R'S on 17 x 8.5 wheels. They generate most grip at 30 psi. Rear I run at about 35 psi.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The post said to start at 1/4”, but don’t be afraid to go as much as 1/2” total toe.
I'd recommend starting in 1/8" TOTAL increments. It will get loose in a hurry when you have gone too far- you'll know it when you get there (when it's too fast to catch)! At that point, back off 1/16" TOTAL increments until it's manageable.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Attachments

• Toe Setting Conversion.pdf
    27.6 KB · Views: 80

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I'm considering higher front pressures to act as more spring, to keep the tire contact patch from being overloaded, in the same way that Jackrabbit suggested that we try higher front spring rates to make the front "happy".
That makes sense. You'll also be decreasing the slip angle of the tire at higher pressures which could make the tire feel more edgy. Are you planning to use the pressure to test if you want to move to a higher springrate?
Howdy,

What pressures were you running?

I've been using 36 front / 40 rear with 255 A052's on 18x9's.

I tend to be pretty insensitive to pressure changes, but still curious what others are using.

Mark
I typically run 37 front and 34 rear. I'll bleed down the rears as they heat up to add slip angle, helps the rear end move a bit. Right now I'm running 245/40-17 on 17x8.5

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That makes sense. You'll also be decreasing the slip angle of the tire at higher pressures which could make the tire feel more edgy. Are you planning to use the pressure to test if you want to move to a higher springrate?

I typically run 37 front and 34 rear. I'll bleed down the rears as they heat up to add slip angle, helps the rear end move a bit. Right now I'm running 245/40-17 on 17x8.5
What tire?