GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Got pulled over for doing 98 in a 55. :D
I had a close one about a month ago. 73 in a 35. That harley Davidson didn't stand a chance in my defense. Cop was real cool about it though. I admitted I was in the wrong and was showing off and was willing to take the consequences for my actions. He ended up telling me to take it to the freeway and not in town. Verbal warning was all I ended up with. Definitely got REAL lucky there!

Last edited:

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Verbal warning was all I ended up with. Definitely got REAL lucky there!

Verbal warning here too. My road was a four lane (sometimes six) divided highway. 55 is a little low, IMO, and people are usually doing 75+ anyways. The cop was very cool and understanding. Just told me to slow it down a little.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Back in the 90's, I decided to see if my new VR6 Corrado would really do 140 mph. 4 lane separated highway, newly paved, midnight, no cars on the road, except the highway patrolman in the median with his lights off. He was nice enough to confirm the car did in fact hit 140 mph with his radar gun. The reason he was sitting in that particular spot, is for absolutely no reason, the speed limit is 45mph for a quarter mile section, even though no businesses, no roads intersecting, no merging traffic, etc... He could have taken me to jail, but wrote the ticket for 89 in a 45. I still lost my license for a year. My wife was not amused and went into labor 5 min after I told her. True story.

The upside to being old is the last 6 times I've been pulled over for speeding I got verbal warnings. They seem let down when they get the window and it isn't a young guy driving.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Got pulled over for doing 98 in a 55. :D
wtf. I've been pulled over 3 times for 88 in a 60, 78 in a 55 twice and never gotten off with a warning. You're lucky!

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Yeah, a 35 mph road is 35 for a reason. Usually has cars pulling on and off it or has businesses along it. Keep it to the highway.
I definitely agree. I had just got my R and really wasn't used to that kind of acceleration yet.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
wtf. I've been pulled over 3 times for 88 in a 60, 78 in a 55 twice and never gotten off with a warning. You're lucky!

If I told the stories of things I've talked my way out of / been let off lightly from over the years (from long ago), no one would believe me. I think I've met every and only every cool cop in the world.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn

He may have been sympathetic with me just trying to get to work. It was very early (6:15am) and I had my work shirt on. He also wasn't stationed and clocking people. I pulled off an exit ramp and he was already on the next road and I flew past him without realizing. He drove up behind me and matched his speed with mine. It was still pitch black out so I couldn't tell what kind of car it was or I would have slowed down. :D

I've been pulled over plenty of times, and usually I make a deal with the cop right there on the spot. I admit to what I was doing, apologize, then ask for a ticket without points. It's worked every single time. Then I just pay it.

Gotta pay to play and they usually only care about the money anyways. Unless you're going like 125 through a 25 school zone or something.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Should have told him you were trying to activate your flux capacitor.
I thought about it but then the dude walked up to me and noticed he was a severe burn victim or something and did not look in the mood for jokes from an 18 year old kid in a Camry at 11pm lol

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Wasn't it 2018 that they finally opened up the color choices for US R's?

For some reason that I don't understand - the mk7 especially the R looks good in colors I normally don't like at all. Bright greens and yellow are usually terrible, even on a Lambo. But they work on this car. HumbleMechanic has a yellow R that looks killer. Usually I want nothing to do with bright colors, even reds or blues - but again, on the R for some reason they work.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
For some reason that I don't understand - the mk7 especially the R looks good in colors I normally don't like at all. Bright greens and yellow are usually terrible, even on a Lambo. But they work on this car. HumbleMechanic has a yellow R that looks killer. Usually I want nothing to do with bright colors, even reds or blues - but again, on the R for some reason they work.
Boring cars look good in weird colors. Weird cars look good in boring colors. The Mk7 is such a boring design, much less interesting than the Mk6 or Mk8. The missing shoulder line really hurts it. But paint it a cool color, and it's so much better. Yes, I own white. Oops.