GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catch can worth it? Bad PCV

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Isn’t there a newer “M” model? Or is this one the latest revision

BL is the newest revision for the R and S3. M was the older revision and it's the newest revision for the GTI. The BL is better and fits the GTI. This is my understanding.

BL has stopped my cars smoke show on track. I'll also be adding a CC and better baffled oil pan in time though.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
BL is the newest revision for the R and S3. M was the older revision and it's the newest revision for the GTI. The BL is better and fits the GTI. This is my understanding.

BL has stopped my cars smoke show on track. I'll also be adding a CC and better baffled oil pan in time though.
Good to know.
It's difficult to keep up with the production differences. I seem to have thought (even in my own searches), that the higher the LETTER / the NEWER it was; apparently that is not the case. Thanks for the clarification.

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
BL revision is definitely the way to go, swapped it onto my car and fixed my smoking issues at startup and from stops.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
You should just replace it yourself and avoid possibly getting flagged at your dealership.
What does it matter if he's flagged now or later?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
For you guys wo have messed around with the BL and BM PCVs.... is there a way to physically tell them apart, installed on the engine? 2017 Audi S3, I'm curious as to which one I'm running. I've looked at the both PN pics with like 1000000x zoom, but they appear to be basically identical on the top side.

Magnaroccogti

Car(s)
GTI
For you guys wo have messed around with the BL and BM PCVs.... is there a way to physically tell them apart, installed on the engine? 2017 Audi S3, I'm curious as to which one I'm running. I've looked at the both PN pics with like 1000000x zoom, but they appear to be basically identical on the top side.
Do you have pic of these BM and BL?

The diff is at bottom. This is BL vs older A

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/ang6es

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
ECS site usually has good and correct pics of stuff, so that's what I'm basing it on:

BM: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/separator/06k103495bm/

BL: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/separator/06k103495bl/

On the underside, BM has some sort of opening at the 'front', with a big baffle/shield in place. BL has a rubber check valve thingy of sorts and opening towards the 'rear' of the part. I think the theory was, the oil surge issue under heavy braking was more pronounced with the BM version....maybe related to that opening on the front side of the engine.

AP and BM appear to be of the same series/design or whatever.

Magnaroccogti

Car(s)
GTI
Well yes, but actually no.
It so confusing nowadays. I called the local vw part stockist n check against my vin number, their system show BM is the latest.

Not sure if any difference between Gti from different region as mine is mk7.5 with MPI made in Germany.

What about R vs Gti... 😅

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Pretty sure the number is on the pcv itself, remember looking at my '19 R and seeing I had BL and putting it out of mind.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Do you have pic of these BM and BL?

The diff is at bottom. This is BL vs older A

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/ang6es
FCPEuro also posted a follow up to this post on Reddit that wasn't included.
level 1
fcpeuro

1 point· 1 year ago

We recently heard back from one of our customers who purchased this part. It’ll fit just fine and worked well up until he went to the track. He experienced the same issue - it may even have been worse than before. At this point, the best remedy for PCV issues at the track would be a catch can.