GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is 0-60 APR Stage 1?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Whenever I wonder about the limits of FWD cars, I think of the Civic Type R - it has similar factory specs to a Stage 1 GTI, yet somehow it can achieve about 5.1 seconds 0-60. Only edge I can think of is it has really wide tires. Any thoughts as to what makes the Type-R so much faster than the GTI?

Riiiise, Zombie thread.... Riiiiiiissseeeee!

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
EQT with their custom COBB traction control I think was hitting mid 5s on only stage 1, add some nice sticky tires or nt555r in a mk7 with limited slip and good motor mounts I'd bet high 4s is pretty easy with very little engine mods

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Whenever I wonder about the limits of FWD cars, I think of the Civic Type R - it has similar factory specs to a Stage 1 GTI, yet somehow it can achieve about 5.1 seconds 0-60. Only edge I can think of is it has really wide tires. Any thoughts as to what makes the Type-R so much faster than the GTI?

I reckon suspension.

Leonardp

Go Kart Newbie
Stage 2, stock turbo, downpipe, VWR intake.

Attachments

• A8A31167-E18B-4C03-B4CC-218689B40525.jpeg
    A8A31167-E18B-4C03-B4CC-218689B40525.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 420

jdiamondGolfMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys, a new car has made FWD acceleration history! This month's car and driver tested the new Mini John Cooper Works GP with 301HP. It set an all time record for FWD 0-60 when it made it in just 4.7 seconds! (Not too far from the AWD golf R!). Maybe it just puts all its weight on the front? Which makes it all the more hard to say why a tuned GTI can't do somewhat better. (Although the post above about needing a wider power band to avoid wheel spinning seems like something APR could look into.)

Honestly, I wish more car makers would consider RWD. BMW has shown for decades that a RWD car has 90% the performance of an AWD car.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
"Honestly, I wish more car makers would consider RWD. BMW has shown for decades that a RWD car has 90% the performance of an AWD car. "

Yup... a rwd hot hatch would sure be nice.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
A Nissan Leaf will beat you from 0-60 also - could be close depending on driver :unsure:

Last edited:

jdiamondGolfMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys, I just found a new amazing data point - the Australian MK7 TCR (basically our FWD golf with a Golf-R engine) did 0-60 in 5.0 seconds! This all kind of implies that the real wheel drive advantage exists, but is less than we might have thought. (Although I know of zero FWD cars that can better 4.5 seconds 0-60). Of course, a FWD also has a 10% weight advantage over AWD, so in that sense the gap is wider.