GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Vs civic Hatch

iitsdavis

Car(s)
07 civic
I been committed to Honda my entire life. I have a 07 civIc at 225k, still pushing great. However, I think it’s time to me upgrade. I Always took good care of it mechanically so I never really had any problems. I was planning on getting the 2017 hatchback touring, but then I saw the GTI. I heard mixed reviews about VW’s service and reliability, however I’m seriously interested in getting a 2017 GTI SE. Does anyone have any problems with their GTI or can anyone tell me why GTI are better than the civic hatchback? How is the maintenance and expenses? I plan on taking good care of the car and keeping it for a long time. I really want the GTI, but I feel like I need more information from actual owners. Any information would be appreciate.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I started with VW, dabbled in Honda for a short while (had a ‘93 EG hatch) then came back to VW and haven’t gone back. VWs are like any other car, you learn their quirks, downsides and advantages. Devil you know vs the devil you don’t kinda thing. I think in terms of performance though, VWs are a lot more fun in the seat and pay off in spades bang for buck. Also, they have more tasteful styling. That said, if I was just to buy a low maintenance beater that I didn’t want to tune or mod I’d get a Civic over a Jetta.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If you get a manual the gearbox leaves a lot to be desired vs. a 2000s Honda. I assume the Civic hatch was a manual, unless you're some kind of masochist.

The GTI is much more expensive to own than that Honda. It can be bad on gas if you're having fun, tires can be expensive the same way. The insurance cost will be higher as well.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
If you get a manual the gearbox leaves a lot to be desired vs. a 2000s Honda. I assume the Civic hatch was a manual, unless you're some kind of masochist.

The GTI is much more expensive to own than that Honda. It can be bad on gas if you're having fun, tires can be expensive the same way. The insurance cost will be higher as well.

Ah the legend of the honda manual. I had two 00's Hondas back in the day (04 RSX-S and an 07 SI). Both transmissions had a ton of issues. 2nd gear would pop out, 3rd gear would grind. The RSX would occasionally refuse to go into second if you were at WOT in 1st, as soon as you let off the clutch it would throw you out. Tons of fun let me tell you.

Had 2nd and 3rd replaced under warranty on both cars but didn't solve anything. Honda didn't bother to fix it for a decade or more, the forums are full of people with those issues from multiple vehicles.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Bought my 2016 Gti S 6mt new in December 2015 and tuned it Stage 1 and started doing bolt ons right away.

It’s just under 95k miles now, and the only issue so far has been the windshield washer fluid pump went bad (which was a $20 fix).

It’s currently APR tuned with an OEM Is38 (the turbo from a Golf R/S3) so a conservative 360whp 400wtq and averaging 33.4mph this week on my backroad commute to work.

When it was stage 2 (stock turbo, full bolt ons) it got 7mph on the track, so I agree with the above you can blow through some tires and gas having fun but in normal daily driving it’s a very affordable car especially for the performance capabilities.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Ah the legend of the honda manual. I had two 00's Hondas back in the day (04 RSX-S and an 07 SI). Both transmissions had a ton of issues. 2nd gear would pop out, 3rd gear would grind. The RSX would occasionally refuse to go into second if you were at WOT in 1st, as soon as you let off the clutch it would throw you out. Tons of fun let me tell you.

Had 2nd and 3rd replaced under warranty on both cars but didn't solve anything. Honda didn't bother to fix it for a decade or more, the forums are full of people with those issues from multiple vehicles.
I was talking the feel of the shifter and not the reliability of the gearbox. Apologies for the confusion. The Honda undoubtedly has a much slicker manual transmission from an ease of engagement standpoint.

iitsdavis

Car(s)
07 civic
Bought my 2016 Gti S 6mt new in December 2015 and tuned it Stage 1 and started doing bolt ons right away.

It’s just under 95k miles now, and the only issue so far has been the windshield washer fluid pump went bad (which was a $20 fix).

It’s currently APR tuned with an OEM Is38 (the turbo from a Golf R/S3) so a conservative 360whp 400wtq and averaging 33.4mph this week on my backroad commute to work.

When it was stage 2 (stock turbo, full bolt ons) it got 7mph on the track, so I agree with the above you can blow through some tires and gas having fun but in normal daily driving it’s a very affordable car especially for the performance capabilities.

Damn. Your car looks sick! I have no intentions in abusing the car or anything. Just a daily car to go in and out of town for work and school. I’m a little nervous on the repair expenses that I might run into

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Damn. Your car looks sick! I have no intentions in abusing the car or anything. Just a daily car to go in and out of town for work and school. I’m a little nervous on the repair expenses that I might run into

Thanks! The only common-ish issues are sunroof cracks/leaks and water pump leaks. If you’re unsure I’d recommend buying a certified preowned, so covered up to 100k miles and just keep mods minimal or leave it stock.

I’ve had an above average experience, but feel 100% confident recommending a Gti as long as you take care of it they’ll match or beat the reliability of basically any currently produced car

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
GTI Jake, glad to hear that you have had a good reliability experience with your GTI. It appears you do more than commute and get groceries with your sweet ride. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to resist autocrossing or running an occasional track event - if I were to pick up my first GTI. Sounds like the mk7 is more than up to the task.

iitsdavis

Car(s)
07 civic
Thanks! The only common-ish issues are sunroof cracks/leaks and water pump leaks. If you’re unsure I’d recommend buying a certified preowned, so covered up to 100k miles and just keep mods minimal or leave it stock.

I’ve had an above average experience, but feel 100% confident recommending a Gti as long as you take care of it they’ll match or beat the reliability of basically any currently produced car
How often do you change your oil and plugs? You’re make it difficult to not get one lol.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
You won’t be disappointed if you get one!
6CCCAB08-376C-42E7-925C-444BE722A25D.jpeg
Even random cats appreciate them.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
How often do you change your oil and plugs? You’re make it difficult to not get one lol.

Oil every 7k, plugs every 10k and manual transmission fluid every 40k. It’s been a great car, tires last about 30k per set except this last set which is about done at 23k thanks to the rough track surface at CMP