GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Black Forest Industries Staged Clutch kits

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
If my hst rsr ever gives up the ghost, I'll probably try a bfi. For $1000 with flywheel and everything else, that's seems a good price. I'm very curious about the smfw experience.

Hst pulled some shenanigans about revising their torque rating after I'd already bought it.

Can the disc be used to dry my tears from having to redo all that work?

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
[video=youtube;JBZyCIpRWTs]

A recent video review from JR14. Also helps explain what the Stage 4 and 5 clutch are about.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Edit 10/20/20-

My clutch pedal had been feeling rough and inconsistent for some time, then recently the clutch began to slip. This was after 16,000 miles at stage 2 power levels, then 9,000 miles at 419 Whp & 399 Ft-Lbs.

Today, I did a few 3rd and 4th gear pulls and the disc all but gave out. I was driving home in 3rd with constant slip. The car is undriveable until I get a new clutch in.

I was definitely expecting the clutch to last longer than it did, especially when I was under the rated torque levels for its entire life (stage 3 kit). Not sure If I would recommend this setup anymore for anything over stage 2.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
From our response to the customer via email:

I wouldn't say that you would need a Stage 4 or 5 as those are more geared towards track only cars due to the inherent nature of a pucked disc. I'd say that the Stage 3 is fine, but when you leave from a stand still, you wouldn't be able to feather / slip the clutch. We just had a customer replace theirs after 50k miles with a Stage 2 MK7 Golf R using our Stage 3 disc.

When it comes to performance clutches, ceramic clutches are not meant to be slipped when going from a take off, this will heat up the material and cause it to eventually stick. Also, think of clutches like tires - All season tires last longer than summer tires, but the summer tires will have better grip and performance. This is similar to an organic vs ceramic clutch disc. If you do a lot of stop and go driving, your clutch will have a shorter lifespan than all highway driving as well. That's not to say that we expect highway driving for our clutches. We are having people get upwards of 70k miles on our Stage 3 clutches because they know how to drive on them.

The clutch is rated at a certain power level and people have be able to use it what's its rated for. Clutch longevity mainly comes down to driving habits and style as well. You have people that can make a clutch last the entire life of a car, and people that will blow the clutch in 10 miles.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
We just had a customer call in asking if we sold replacement pressure plates and discs because their Golf R's clutch needs replacing after 100k miles on our Stage 3 kit!

Needless-to-say, we do! If you have our flywheel, you are able to purchase a replacement pressure plate, disc, and hardware to refresh your current setup. You would just need to have your flywheel resurfaced at any competent machine shop.

Please contact us for further details and to order.