GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I think it will have a brake based torque vectoring setup, like the BMW.

The Mk7 already has that, EDL.. "Electronic Differential Lock" (It applies brake pressure to the spinning wheel... It sounds like a sort of clutch pack LSD, but its not lol)

The Mk8 is for sure getting some more advanced version like every generation does.... the current one uses ABS wheel speed sensors and works up to 35mph (on all 4 wheels on the R)

This is a separate system to XDS+

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The Mk7 already has that, EDL.. "Electronic Differential Lock" (It applies brake pressure to the spinning wheel... It sounds like a sort of clutch pack LSD, but its not lol)

The Mk8 is for sure getting some more advanced version like every generation does.... the current one uses ABS wheel speed sensors and works up to 35mph (on all 4 wheels on the R)

This is a separate system to XDS+
Right, it's software based. No Haldex car seems to have a mechanical form of torque vectoring on either axle. I'd think that adding a mechanical front diff to Haldex is a bit of a mixed bag as it should allow more power to be kept on the front axle before allocating any to the rear, just furthering understeer and fwd characteristics. I'm hoping the Mk8 has better front steering knuckles, akin to the old Focus RS or current CTR, helping to eliminate torque steer. The CTR really is impressive to drive, just painful to look at, inside and out.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I think it will have a brake based torque vectoring setup, like the BMW.
The bmw M135i xDrive has a Torsen diff, it’s not brake based, the base model 1series have the brake based system.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The bmw M135i xDrive has a Torsen diff, it’s not brake based, the base model 1series have the brake based system.
The torque vectoring is electronic. It's derived from the system first implemented on the i cars. You get that torque vectoring is not as simple as moving power because of slip? It's an active, software decision to preemptively reapply torque to reduce understeer (or create oversteer, like the Drift mode in AMG's or the old Focus RS.)
It can be done with the brakes or with an electronically controlled gear driven LSD like the M Cars have had since the E90. But your car has a Torsen diff, so it uses the brakes to torque vector. Look at the physical transmission, look at RealOEM, whatever, it's not an e-diff.
Cool that you have both an actual Torsen diff and torque vectoring, but they are not the same thing and one does not mean you have the other.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I'll give my opinion, coming from someone that loves the latest tech in things...Starting with exterior...

I never hated the exterior but the more I look at it, the more I like it. Don't like it so much in red but the white looks a ton better (I like to see contrasting parts of the car, its one of the reason I prefer lighter/brighter colored cars). As for the interior, I appreciate that the infotainment sits higher now. It's my only complaint about the MK7 interior, having to look somewhat down to the infotainment takes a bit of attention away from the road. Other than that, I am always open to trying the new tech. I love the digital cockpit, and the new infotainment looks nice. I am slightly concerned about the haptic feedback on the steering wheel and the inferior quality of the interior as a whole. I love the color changing ambient light though (is that confirmed for the GTI? Or just higher trim Golfs?)

Last edited:

codypka

Go Kart Champion
The looks are growing on me, but the haptic controls are def. concerning. I think I read there will be a base model infotainment with more buttons?