Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
MK8 Top Mod List.

Hood gas struts.
New engine cover.
Battery cover
New front bumper.
Debadge or move rear GTI badge. Change VW logo badge, front rear.

Then start all normal mods.

Loved the Clubsport S seats but these look bulky in comparison.
They did try on the steering wheel. Almost good. I think I would ceramic coat the interior knowing how any gloss holds up in the interior. Dust party also!
Otherwise it is a 7.

Attachments

• 23E6AF62-1455-4048-9327-425A0A349B34.jpeg
    23E6AF62-1455-4048-9327-425A0A349B34.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I’ve just ordered a brand new BMW M135i X Drive (not yet built), and even though I’m a huge golf GTI fan, having as yet only watched the first part of this review I feel I’ve was right not to wait for the it to be released, (which the dealer tells me will be early summer 2021 for UK delivery) the golf interior looks so cheap compared to the BMW.

What is the cost comparison?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The BMW 1 series has been discontinued for many years. Maybe he meant the 2 series. Either way he’s looking at about $50k for a car near the end of its product life vs the newest GTI.
The 1 series exists in the rest of the world as a front wheel drive hatch. Has the older version of Haldex awd as an option, no fixed power to the rear and a max of 50%, unlike the current VW version that is 'greater than 10%' (call it 10.01%) fixed and closer to 60% max to the rear

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The 1 series exists in the rest of the world as a front wheel drive hatch. Has the older version of Haldex awd as an option, no fixed power to the rear and a max of 50%, unlike the current VW version that is 'greater than 10%' (call it 10.01%) fixed and closer to 60% max to the rear
It also seems to be the car of choice for many current mk7 / mk7.5 Golf owners who are looking to change their current cars but are disappointed with the mk8 Golf. Some of those that have driven it are referring to it as the Golf that VW should have built.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It also seems to be the car of choice for many current mk7 / mk7.5 Golf owners who are looking to change their current cars but are disappointed with the mk8 Golf. Some of those that have driven it are referring to it as the Golf that VW should have built.
Funny, I came from BMW and wanted to love the F56 Mini, but it was terrible. I ended up with the Mk7. From all evidence, the 1er is still tied closely to the F56. VW is 8 generations in on fwd, BMW is 3 or 4, depending on how you count. I'd take a Mk8 GTI long before an M135i, even if they made it with a manual.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I agree. BlackBerry's are just doing so well these days.

There's a new Blackberry phone coming out this fall. But you know what the difference with a Blackberry phone and an all touch screen media center is when you're using the Blackberry you're just using the phone not driving a car. Not to mention that Blackberry phones died out because they were using an operating system that didn't have any apps to speak of.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
There's a new Blackberry phone coming out this fall. But you know what the difference with a Blackberry phone and an all touch screen media center is when you're using the Blackberry you're just using the phone not driving a car. Not to mention that Blackberry phones died out because they were using an operating system that didn't have any apps to speak of.
Come to Texas. Every third car is being driven by someone giving far more attention to their phone than actually driving. At least in a Mk8 they'll be able to multitask.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Come to Texas. Every third car is being driven by someone giving far more attention to their phone than actually driving. At least in a Mk8 they'll be able to multitask.

Good point and the same in Phoenix and I'm sure everywhere else but I still wouldn't want an all touch for every simple thing like the volume control.