GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Upper interior trim at c pillar, does that come off by itself or do you have to take the lower piece off too?
Gotta remove the lower trim. C pillar trim is a bit of a pain, there are screws behind the airbag inserts, and those will almost certainly break when you pry them out. It's also tough to realign all of the clips when putting the C pillar trim piece back on, it's helpful to place bits of tape where all of the clips are so that you can put force where it's needed when putting the trim back on.

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone have an idea of what the part is that I highlighted? Oil seems to be leaking from it. This is a photo from underneath the back of the engine. Thanks!
3cd86bdd-674e-4beb-905b-e469fdc80a0d.JPG

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
Lower chain tensioner (part # 06H109467AE), for the balance shaft chain. Not THE timing chain tensioner that has issues on these cars, but the part right below it.View attachment 182333

Thank you very much, I should have known! Are these known to leak? Is it as simple as replacing it from the exterior and torquing to spec?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
This is a pretty minor issue, all things considered. Its an annoying noise but mechanically the transmission works fine still. If you want hassle free, im not sure what car to tell you to buy. 🤷‍♂️
A Honda or a yota, that's what i would tell you. I have a crappy 300k miles 2001 Honda crv so when(not if) i have to work on my dub

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Guys, I took my driver seat out and this thing fell out, anyone have a clue what it is and where it goes?!?
It goes on the back side of the front seat rail. It has to be situated with the correct orientation. Look at the rails and see which seat still has them, notice how its installed. Install that one back where its missing

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Occasionally I have been getting very sluggish throttle response followed by sudden surge. There's not much of a pattern to it, sometimes it's just after startup and in 2nd, sometimes it's after 15 minutes drive and in 3rd, sometimes it doesn't happen at all, etc. Signs of carbon buildup, or expected behavior for a Stg2 DSG with no TCU tune? No CELs to speak of and no faults in OBDEleven.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
You can try a throttle pedal calibration. Don't remember how to do it but the Google will have it.

torga

Autocross Champion
You can try a throttle pedal calibration. Don't remember how to do it but the Google will have it.
IIRC, it's:
1. Turn key to ignition (don't crank)
2. Press throttle for 30s.
3. Turn key to off (do not remove key).
4. Turn key back to ignition.
5. Turn key to off and remove key.
6. Start car normally.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Is there some sort of central electronics module on our cars? My trunk will randomly pop itself if I don't lock the doors and my car thinks all my lights are out even though they aren't. Also my driver's side and passenger side headlights take turns going out. Luckily only one at a time so far but I'd rather figure this out before it's both one night.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Is there some sort of central electronics module on our cars? My trunk will randomly pop itself if I don't lock the doors and my car thinks all my lights are out even though they aren't. Also my driver's side and passenger side headlights take turns going out. Luckily only one at a time so far but I'd rather figure this out before it's both one night.

Yes, several actually. Those issues sound very bad, like the car is possessed. Could start with a VCDS scan and see what codes are stored but will likely need professional assistance.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion

The one that controls the lights is under the driver dash, right near the obd2 port.

Last edited: