GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR No Longer Providing Stage 2 Tunes After Labour Day. Other Tuners to Follow

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Meanwhile out in the oceans:

"Carnival Corporation, the world’s largest luxury cruise operator, emitted nearly 10 times more sulphur oxide (SOX) around European coasts than did all 260 million European cars in 2017, a new analysis by sustainable transport group Transport & Environment reveals" https://www.transportenvironment.or...e-air-pollution-sox-all-europe’s-cars-–-study

But hey EPA, keep going after those crazy high flow downpipe sellers!

I was only planning on going stage 2 next year. Guess I will remain stock DP till I trade in the car some time later.

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion

"The International Maritime Organization (IMO) calculated that ocean-going vessels released 1.12 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide in 2007. This is equivalent to the annual greenhouse gas emissions from over 205 million cars, or more cars than were registered in the entire United States in 2006 (135 million). "

I was only planning on going stage 2 next year. Guess I will remain stock DP till I trade in the car some time later.

The low sulfur mandate from the International Maritime Organization took effect globally this year, which was an enormous reduction on emissions from ships and required carriers to invest billions to meet the standards.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I asked APR yesterday about upgrading from their stage 2 to is38 tune and it’ll still be available as someone else mentioned.

Whoever said you could only get APR stage 2 with their downpipe is 100% incorrect. It was a $175 upgrade from stage 1, no hardware purchase from them required.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The huge number of giant container ships are the biggest polluters, from what I heard.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Cobb has been slowly making similar moves too. Look at their v201 map release notes:

This map has been updated to our Green Speed standard to ensure compliance with EPA and CARB regulations. This map eliminates unnecessary DTC suppression to ensure full environmental compliance.

Their tunes/software doesn't actually disable any o2 sensor related DTCs or emissions readiness monitors, it just prevents the check engine light from coming on. This is part of the reason why you're supposed to unplug the rear o2 sensor with aftermarket downpipe.

Hptuners is doing the same thing for their newer supported cars moving forward too.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Cobb has been slowly making similar moves too. Look at their v201 map release notes:

This map has been updated to our Green Speed standard to ensure compliance with EPA and CARB regulations. This map eliminates unnecessary DTC suppression to ensure full environmental compliance.

Their tunes/software doesn't actually disable any o2 sensor related DTCs or emissions readiness monitors, it just prevents the check engine light from coming on. This is part of the reason why you're supposed to unplug the rear o2 sensor with aftermarket downpipe.

Hptuners is doing the same thing for their newer supported cars moving forward too.

EQT is the one who recommends the rear 02 sensor be disconnected because they say it causes it to run rich over time but I have tested that extensively and noticed zero difference. I have the perfect testing platform for that because I drive 200 miles per day and fill up every morning.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Reading through all these comments about all the restrictions that APR has in the past placed on what parts have to be installed for a certain stage tune makes me wonder why anyone would have used them in the first place. I agree that they make quality products but I'll get tuned by a company that doesn't have these restrictions. I won't even get into all the advantages of the Cobb platform.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Reading through all these comments about all the restrictions that APR has in the past placed on what parts have to be installed for a certain stage tune makes me wonder why anyone would have used them in the first place. I agree that they make quality products but I'll get tuned by a company that doesn't have these restrictions. I won't even get into all the advantages of the Cobb platform.
Why is it so difficult to understand someone who wants to tune the car and drive it, and not worry about it again? Holy shit man. Snap out of it. It's not like they just popped up out of no where last summer and started selling tunes. They've been around the block a few times.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Why is it so difficult to understand someone who wants to tune the car and drive it, and not worry about it again? Holy shit man. Snap out of it. It's not like they just popped up out of no where last summer and started selling tunes. They've been around the block a few times.

You can do just that with any tuner without the restrictions that APR has. I said they make quality parts but no tuner is going to tell me I have to have a particular part or they won't tune my car.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI

"Carnival Corporation, the world’s largest luxury cruise operator, emitted nearly 10 times more sulphur oxide (SOX) around European coasts than did all 260 million European cars in 2017, a new analysis by sustainable transport group Transport & Environment reveals" https://www.transportenvironment.org/press/luxury-cruise-giant-emits-10-times-more-air-pollution-sox-all-europe’s-cars-–-study

A downpipe is just a metal pipe with a flange on it. You can buy a cheap one on ebay, have a cat welded in, get an Accessport, and have it tuned however you like. You could also modify the stock downpipe. Your hobby's not dead.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
EQT is the one who recommends the rear 02 sensor be disconnected because they say it causes it to run rich over time but I have tested that extensively and noticed zero difference. I have the perfect testing platform for that because I drive 200 miles per day and fill up every morning.

It does not 'run rich over time', it runs rich any time a P0420 is set (cat efficiency code). It's not that rich in the grand scheme of things or enough to really affect MPG, but I still pulled mine. MPG test isn't a valid way to really test this, too many variables. I've taken several logs and it runs like 0.1-0.3 AFR points richer with the sensor plugged in.....not a big deal, but it's definitely a thing.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
You can do just that with any tuner without the restrictions that APR has. I said they make quality parts but no tuner is going to tell me I have to have a particular part or they won't tune my car.
What restrictions are you even talking about?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What restrictions are you even talking about?

Like you have to have a DP for a stage 2 tune. Sure it helps but you can get a stage 2 tune from another company without that restriction. You won't produce quite as much power but you can do it. It would still be better than a stage 1 tune.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
If they ban downpipes/exhaust mods in general.... It would ruin my whole plan for the GTI 😭. I can't stay on the stock choked up downpipe forever, what are people supposed to do? I guess they're hoping that extra, custom exhaust work will deter people from changing it? This sucks.

Edit: assuming they don't ban/fine sellers for the sale of cats by themselves as well - even worse..