GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brand new and broken

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Definitely old fuel or perhaps a battery that lost a lot of its luster sitting on a lot.

RvamkviiS

Car(s)
2020 Mk vii S
20 days later, another CEL. Now at 750 miles. Car has been idling rough right after startup, whether hot or cold. I did some quick research and it seems this is a known issue. Going back to dealership today or tomorrow.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
20 days later, another CEL. Now at 750 miles. Car has been idling rough right after startup, whether hot or cold. I did some quick research and it seems this is a known issue. Going back to dealership today or tomorrow.

Yeah you need the software update, as someone wrote before it appears they just cleared the fault codes the first time.

RvamkviiS

Car(s)
2020 Mk vii S
My 750-mile car has been at the dealership for two days now (they gave me a loaner--stripper Jetta). At the end of the day yesterday, the service advisor said they had sent a 124-page report mostly in German to VW and had spent several hours on the phone with "VW tech" but still did not have a conclusive answer. At what point do I ask them for a replacement car?

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Research lemon laws in your state. That will dictate when you can legally request a replacement car or buyback.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
They don't usually fill them up until prepping after a sale.

Maybe low octane gas used.
Cheaper for dealer to use it than 93.
Add a can of octane boost now.
When half empty, fill up with 93.
But on new car take back in early. Press dealer to correct.
Get loaner.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks, just did that. 3 attempts to fix the same problem or 30 days out of service (cumulative) in VA.

Hey, my 2019 was the same way. It, like others, needed the patch to fix it, but the o2 sensor was damaged and it took a few weeks for it to throw a CEL. I'd guess that even though they will do the patch, the o2 sensor is damaged and on it's last leg. I could feel it failing and they kept telling me that there was no CEL, so they couldn't replace it. They it threw a CEL on the way to work one day and it was the O2 sensor. Rough idle and bogged a little under acceleration. No issues since the patch and o2 sensor, though I'm tuned and on a different oil at this point, for tracking. But none the less, the o2 sensor on it's last leg was the issue.

RvamkviiS

Car(s)
2020 Mk vii S
Hey, my 2019 was the same way. It, like others, needed the patch to fix it, but the o2 sensor was damaged and it took a few weeks for it to throw a CEL. I'd guess that even though they will do the patch, the o2 sensor is damaged and on it's last leg. I could feel it failing and they kept telling me that there was no CEL, so they couldn't replace it. They it threw a CEL on the way to work one day and it was the O2 sensor. Rough idle and bogged a little under acceleration. No issues since the patch and o2 sensor, though I'm tuned and on a different oil at this point, for tracking. But none the less, the o2 sensor on it's last leg was the issue.
Thanks, that’s interesting. I love the car and really want to keep it, but obviously early problems like this can shake your trust. Hopefully it’ll work out like yours did.

RvamkviiS

Car(s)
2020 Mk vii S
Latest from dealer: This is an emerging issue with 2020 GTIs. Several have been affected, and the company is working on a new software patch to fix it. There is nothing "mechanically wrong" with the car--it's generating CELs for no reason (hmm....rough idle?). Anyway, the dealer says they want to keep it for another day in the rare case VW has a solution ready in the next 24 hours. Otherwise it'll be rinse and repeat until the fix is ready.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Latest from dealer: This is an emerging issue with 2020 GTIs. Several have been affected, and the company is working on a new software patch to fix it. There is nothing "mechanically wrong" with the car--it's generating CELs for no reason (hmm....rough idle?). Anyway, the dealer says they want to keep it for another day in the rare case VW has a solution ready in the next 24 hours. Otherwise it'll be rinse and repeat until the fix is ready.

It'll be 8 months. Lol.

It's likely a continuation of 24D patch/oil/vvt issue. I doubt it's a new issue.

Have them replace your O2 sensor if they will, and reset all engine adaptions.