GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
no, when i first got my 15 gti someone posted a memo or bulletin from vw showing the dealer using an extractor, i know this because i was researching them, extractions dont bother me at all

You don't go to the dealer for oil changes do you?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
yeah i know, lol im in a apartment, not much room for oil changes, ive been meaning to get an extractor,

I go to a quick oil change place and bring my own oil and filter and they charge me $15. I also supply a drain plug because, and I know this is controversial, but I don't believe in the extraction method. If you do extraction you'll then need to dispose of the used oil.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I go to a quick oil change place and bring my own oil and filter and they charge me $15. I also supply a drain plug because, and I know this is controversial, but I don't believe in the extraction method. If you do extraction you'll then need to dispose of the used oil.
not positive about Arizona but in most states any Autozone, Pepboys, etc take the used oil.

I don't use an extractor either, not because I don't trust it - I'm sure they work great, but I like to have a reason to jack up the car and have a look at things every now and then. Good opportunity to check for leaks or anything out of the ordinary.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
I don't mind getting rid of the oil. You'd just put it in the empty bottles from the oil change

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
not positive about Arizona but in most states any Autozone, Pepboys, etc take the used oil.

I don't use an extractor either, not because I don't trust it - I'm sure they work great, but I like to have a reason to jack up the car and have a look at things every now and then. Good opportunity to check for leaks or anything out of the ordinary.
Az has the same. Any parts shop has a giant oil can thinggee to dump fluids in

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I know that Autozone etc takes used oil. I was pointing out the hassle of taking it there.

I just like providing the oil that I want and paying $15 for the labor and be done with it in 15 minutes.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
I know that Autozone etc takes used oil. I was pointing out the hassle of taking it there.

I just like providing the oil that I want and paying $15 for the labor and be done with it in 15 minutes.
I'll have to look into that. I've only been to a quicky lube type place once, and they broke an emblem off of my car, so I'm hesitant

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'll have to look into that. I've only been to a quicky lube type place once, and they broke an emblem off of my car, so I'm hesitant

I know that you're in Tempe but if you have the time go to Mobil 1 on Bell Rd and 26th Street. You can stay with your car the entire time so nothing can go wrong. Like I said I bring my own oil, filter and drain pan plug and they charge me $15.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I know that you're in Tempe but if you have the time go to Mobil 1 on Bell Rd and 26th Street. You can stay with your car the entire time so nothing can go wrong. Like I said I bring my own oil, filter and drain pan plug and they charge me $15.
That's a hell of a deal if you don't own a garage.

cb1111

Wait... you don't go to the dealer because you don't trust them, yet you go to an iffy lube place where they are guaranteed to cross thread your drain plug?

Here is an old story about a guy I used to work with

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wait... you don't go to the dealer because you don't trust them, yet you go to an iffy lube place where they are guaranteed to cross thread your drain plug?

Here is an old story about a guy I used to work with

I've been going there for 20 years. I can go down in the pit and thread it myself if I want to. I don't go to the dealer because I can't stay with my car or even go into the service area. I also don't think they would only charge $15 plus the dealer is out of the way and requires an appointment or wait. The place I go is a half mile from my house and most of the time I drive right in and am done in 15 minutes. The guy who owns the Mobil 1 shop has had the same guys working there since I started going there 20 years ago.

And it wasn't me who doesn't trust the dealer it was the guy I was responding to. I actually do trust my dealer and I do go there for a few things and the shop foreman always does my work himself.

cb1111

I've been going there for 20 years. I can go down in the pit and thread it myself if I want to. I don't go to the dealer because I can't stay with my car or even go into the service area. I also don't think they would only charge $15 plus the dealer is out of the way and requires an appointment or wait. The place I go is a half mile from my house and most of the time I drive right in and am done in 15 minutes. The guy who owns the Mobil 1 shop has had the same guys working there since I started going there 20 years ago.

And it wasn't me who doesn't trust the dealer it was the guy I was responding to. I actually do trust my dealer and I do go there for a few things and the shop foreman always does my work himself.
So in your case, the quick lube place is more like an indy than a quick lube place.