GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wastegate blues

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the process of this right now with turbo on car. It's been giving me EPCs for overboost. with Engine off ACC on, OBD11 showing voltage I can't get it to go higher than 2.7 before the rod completely unscrews from the hinge. This is the same actuator that came with the turbo but it looks different from all the actuators I've seen in video how to's. Looks almost exactly like my is20. Pictured poorly is both turbos is38 and is20 appear to have exact same wastegate actuators.View attachment 179607 I bought it from 2018 Golf R. Do I need a rod extension or is the voltage a different value for this actuator? Why is this so dang confusing?View attachment 179605
Most people dont realize this but newer golf Rs came with the is20 actuators, I think 2018 and up. Happens all the time everyone assumes they got a is38 from a newer model and tries to run adaptation like they would on the mahle actuators

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Perfect. Yes, you have to cycle car off and to to rerun test. Did adaptation pass?
Yes it worked finally. Now I can actually get some logs without EPCs
Screenshot_20200720-212743_JB4 Mobile.jpg

Most people dont realize this but newer golf Rs came with the is20 actuators, I think 2018 and up. Happens all the time everyone assumes they got a is38 from a newer model and tries to run adaptation like they would on the mahle actuators
yeah, there was nothing that mentioned this anywhere. Been driving around with a dysfunctional is38 for 6 months lol

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
Hi guys,

Disclaimer: I am new to modding and a big noob.

I have a 2015 golf 1.8T with APR stage 1. It was running perfectly on the IS12. I also just did the IS20 swap (its a rebuilt turbo from TurboPartsCanada). I do not have access to a VCDS, but I do have the OBDeleven.

The issue is I am now stuck in limp mode. EPC light turns on after 10 seconds of driving and regardless the car will not go over 20 kpmh.

I adjusted the wastegate for hours to no avail. I have the burn marks to prove it haha. Latest reading was:

- Charge pressure actuator, adaptation for lower stop: 3.624V.
- Charge air pressure control valve unconditioned voltage sensor: 2.7V? It has ranged from 1.4-2.7.

I did the first adaptation of charge pressure actuator using the OBDeleven. Unfortunately it does not tell me if it is completed, just says: "basic setting ended" or while adjusting "exiting for safety reasons".

I also tried unscrewing until I had 10-11 threads and slowly rescrew the actuator rod, and that did not work either.

Any help/advice will definitely be appreciated! I am super frustrated after 2 days of this lol

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Hi guys,

Disclaimer: I am new to modding and a big noob.

I have a 2015 golf 1.8T with APR stage 1. It was running perfectly on the IS12. I also just did the IS20 swap (its a rebuilt turbo from TurboPartsCanada). I do not have access to a VCDS, but I do have the OBDeleven.

The issue is I am now stuck in limp mode. EPC light turns on after 10 seconds of driving and regardless the car will not go over 20 kpmh.

I adjusted the wastegate for hours to no avail. I have the burn marks to prove it haha. Latest reading was:

- Charge pressure actuator, adaptation for lower stop: 3.624V.
- Charge air pressure control valve unconditioned voltage sensor: 2.7V? It has ranged from 1.4-2.7.

I did the first adaptation of charge pressure actuator using the OBDeleven. Unfortunately it does not tell me if it is completed, just says: "basic setting ended" or while adjusting "exiting for safety reasons".

I also tried unscrewing until I had 10-11 threads and slowly rescrew the actuator rod, and that did not work either.

Any help/advice will definitely be appreciated! I am super frustrated after 2 days of this lol
Search Charge Pressure Actuator, acknowledgement, it should be set to 3.6-3.8V with the car ON. It's a lot easier to do with the downpipe off or to the side as it won't burn your hand. I turn the car on and off while I adjust. Once you locked in the correct voltage, run the adaptation with the car OFF but accessory ON, it should pass with a green checkmark. The picture is how many threads I had showing on my stock IS20.

Attachments

• IMG_7254.jpg
    IMG_7254.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 157

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
Search Charge Pressure Actuator, acknowledgement, it should be set to 3.6-3.8V with the car ON. It's a lot easier to do with the downpipe off or to the side as it won't burn your hand. I turn the car on and off while I adjust. Once you locked in the correct voltage, run the adaptation with the car OFF but accessory ON, it should pass with a green checkmark. The picture is how many threads I had showing on my stock IS20.

Thanks! So I tried this and it definitely worked. I managed to get the CPA acknowledgement to 3.657V.
Screenshot_20200721-193728.jpg

However, my car is still stuck in limp mode, and I can't for the life of me figure out why..

I drove it for a bit, topping at 30kmph and when I floor it I get the following errors :
Screenshot_20200721-212538.jpg
(I think we could ignore coolant shut off valve, that was there before the turbo swap?)

I can't tell if the turbo is even spooling but there's definitely zero boost/pressure in the manifold based on my boost gauge.

Side note: I don't hear any rattling from within the turbo either .

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
What boost gauge? You have the manifold tapped for a boost gauge?

Yeah, I have the APR boost tap on the side and not through the MAP sensor.

I will have to give the MAP sensor a clean tomorrow (left the car at a friend's).

My only question is, wouldnt this have been a problem with the IS12 I took off as well?

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
FIXED!

I can always count on a wastegate going bad daily on golfmk7

Hahaha very true, but turns out this was not the issue!

Also, going to assume all shop rags counted for? Nothing got left in the intake tract? That's like 4 things to look over. Let us know how it goes.

So I did put a disclaimer in my initial post saying I was a noob. Checked everything out that you mentioned, cleaned the MAP sensor.
Finally, I thought... hmmm maybe I am dumb and I forgot a rag. Bought myself a boroscope and boom....shop towel in the cold side of the turbo.

Running like a charm now!

Thanks for your help Diggs!