GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going insane.Need Help. 2019 R Left turns from stop "tire gripping" / grinding sound with vibration

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Interesting thread to come to this morning. I recently received my car back from a truly messed up accident and the insurance accidentally overpaying and not totaling my car(happy to tell if you’d like).

My entire driver side was replaced along with all suspension components from the driver front left side. I received my car back and immediately noticed a rubbing/grinding/ass vibrating noise feeling with any degree turning to the right.

I took it to Emich VW for them to figure out since the work is warrantied and after 3 days, they said they could not duplicate what myself, my wife, business partner, mother, and the staff at Bluewater Performance we’re feeling(6 people feel it and the dealership doesn’t.. come on). I would hate to have to live with this feeling on the car and I feel it was a wheel bearing but definitely could be from the new tie rod as mentioned above.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Interesting thread to come to this morning. I recently received my car back from a truly messed up accident and the insurance accidentally overpaying and not totaling my car(happy to tell if you’d like).

My entire driver side was replaced along with all suspension components from the driver front left side. I received my car back and immediately noticed a rubbing/grinding/ass vibrating noise feeling with any degree turning to the right.

I took it to Emich VW for them to figure out since the work is warrantied and after 3 days, they said they could not duplicate what myself, my wife, business partner, mother, and the staff at Bluewater Performance we’re feeling(6 people feel it and the dealership doesn’t.. come on). I would hate to have to live with this feeling on the car and I feel it was a wheel bearing but definitely could be from the new tie rod as mentioned above.

Dealer techs are hard of hearing. They only hear what they want to.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I haven’t read this whole thread, so keep that in mind.

With that said I personally know of two 2019 MQB cars with bad steering racks at very low mileage.

-2019 GLI Autobahn

-2019 GTI Rabbit Edition

Something to consider. Also, keep in mind I’ve never had any experiences with failed racks on any MY other than 2019

Yellokilo

Passed Driver's Ed
My issue: on hard left turns, I would hear the front and also feel something rubbing in the front left area. 100% able to be replicated every time.
Persistent techncian finally sleuthed it.
Turns out that it was a worn engine/transmission mount inside the inside of engine compartment driver's side.

RadMax8

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve felt the same thing in my 2016. I haven’t tracked it down to certain situations or kept a log or anything, but I know that it happens on sharp turns starting from a stopped position. I took it to the dealer and described it as a “binding” sensation.

Seems like it’s related to tires and suspension geometry, wonder if it could also be the rear wheels getting some drive as well, hence the rumble you felt in the back seat?

AR11

Ready to race!
I’ve felt the same thing in my 2016. I haven’t tracked it down to certain situations or kept a log or anything, but I know that it happens on sharp turns starting from a stopped position. I took it to the dealer and described it as a “binding” sensation.

Seems like it’s related to tires and suspension geometry, wonder if it could also be the rear wheels getting some drive as well, hence the rumble you felt in the back seat?
Binding is a good description. What was the outcome of the dealer visit? Or is it still there?

RadMax8

Passed Driver's Ed
Should have mentioned, dealer couldn’t replicate it, even though I told them exactly how to do it.

I just chalked it up to the joys of 4motion.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I don't have this issue and have a gti, but I had a similar issue in my old forester xt. It was definitely not Ackerman effect as Ackerman is very obvious what it is as soon as it happens. In my case it was a tiny amount of play between the teeth in the cv axle at the transmission; so little play in fact that with good grip you'd never notice it. When the snow was out, the cv axle would hop back and forth with the slop and due to the lack of proper limited slip would essentially turn the car into one wheel drive. Every time it did this there was a grinding, rubbing, shushing noise and it was most evident when the cv was being stressed more (turning).

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
My car has a similar issue where I can feel the passenger tire scrubbing on hard lefts. Car has had it since day one. My 2016 R did not.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Do you have VCDS? Or OBD11? I would recommend turning xds+ down. It’s brake controlled tq vectoring and it could cause something similar. Just a guess though.

zepharus1

**UPDATE** After going nearly insane, I took this to my local dealer and MADE the lead tech ride in the back seat while I drove around in the area. I was able to replicate it for him. 2 hours later they diagnosed a bad rear Diff. and VW will be replacing it under warranty. It was quick... and bizarrely smooth with almost no issue. My guess is they are salivating for warranty work right now. Color me not impressed with this 19 R thus far... must have been built on a monday after a bender in Wolfsburg...

Diff gets replaced Aug 17th. Cross your fingers for me!

Long story short... dont settle. put the tech in the back for a ride

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
**UPDATE** After going nearly insane, I took this to my local dealer and MADE the lead tech ride in the back seat while I drove around in the area. I was able to replicate it for him. 2 hours later they diagnosed a bad rear Diff. and VW will be replacing it under warranty. It was quick... and bizarrely smooth with almost no issue. My guess is they are salivating for warranty work right now. Color me not impressed with this 19 R thus far... must have been built on a monday after a bender in Wolfsburg...

Congrats and you got your sanity back. Win win.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R

is your car stock? Don’t really want to put my downpipe back on to take it in :-/ for this.