GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alltrack/GSW folks without sunroofs, have you leaked like this?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I was just going to install a Helix Soundbox and noticed this staining was on our 5 week old Alltrack’s trunk ceiling. Needless to say, this was a spirit-sinking experience. I’m pretty bummed about it.

This car has no sunroof.

The rubber wiring pass throughs between the hatch and the body that are known for being leak points appear very secure and have not ever been removed. We haven’t even had that much rain since we got the car, but I there has been some.

I did have it tinted 3 weeks ago and I am wondering if it’s possible that since they did it with the hatch open whatever fluid they were using in application of the tint ran down into the top of the hatch (which is on the bottom while the hatch was in the lifted orientation) as it was squeegeed out and then down through those rubber pass throughs and into the ceiling. That’s my only inkling of anything that could have contributed to this if it wasn’t rain and there’s no other ingress point since there’s no sunroof.

8601B717-5E7B-406E-9DA0-5AE96CA57548.jpeg

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Could it be from seal around the shark fin antenna?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Check the spider traps.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Could it be from seal around the shark fin antenna?
Check the spider traps.

I wondered about the shark fin myself, and also about the attachment points for the roof rail.

I thought the spider traps were only on the sunroof ones... I edited the post to reflect no sunroof.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I was under the impression both have them. Otherwise, that leaves you with the antenna, roof rails, and the hatch wiring harness entry points.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Alltrack 2017 SE (pano roof....) after 10K miles last year. Mine leaked from the sharkfin...zero leaking from the pano roof itself (so far...fingers crossed). I noticed water ingressing during a hand wash, came out to the exact stain on my headliner the next morning. The quality control of the Mexican plant is not as good as Wolfsburg. It took a month for the dealer to get the headliner and two tries to install it correctly. I did get a recall notice to fix the sunroof drains right before the covid nonsense started; I haven't booked an appoint yet, and am not super concerned as it is garaged 11 months of the year. I check the drains a few times a year, and am hesitant to let the flat rate monkeys fling poop trying to install the (upgraded/modified) drains. Even if they are better than the factory, I can't really trust my local service department to install them correctly.

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Alltrack 2017 SE (pano roof....) after 10K miles last year. Mine leaked from the sharkfin...zero leaking from the pano roof itself (so far...fingers crossed). I noticed water ingressing during a hand wash, came out to the exact stain on my headliner the next morning. The quality control of the Mexican plant is not as good as Wolfsburg. It took a month for the dealer to get the headliner and two tries to install it correctly. I did get a recall notice to fix the sunroof drains right before the covid nonsense started; I haven't booked an appoint yet, and am not super concerned as it is garaged 11 months of the year. I check the drains a few times a year, and am hesitant to let the flat rate monkeys fling poop trying to install the (upgraded/modified) drains. Even if they are better than the factory, I can't really trust my local service department to install them correctly.
My understanding of the drain thing was that they remove the flaps, not install new ones.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I'd take it back to the dealer aspa. Sorry about your bad experience from the start.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I'd take it back to the dealer aspa. Sorry about your bad experience from the start.

Yeah. It’s already Into the dealership I trust to fix it.

I don’t trust the dealer I bought it at from a service standpoint as far as I can spit due to a previous experience where they both falsified information in my paperwork and later damaged my car.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
So the dealer leak testing revealed no evidence of leaks... doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies. They are going to replace the headliner and think it could have been from tinting, as do I as I previously said in this thread.

I’ll let them replace the headliner and I’ll do some of my own testing at home with the hose. We shall see.

Headliner is 3-4 days out in shipment now. Glad we aren’t driving much.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
that headliner stain screams shark fin antenna....

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Any follow up to this? Just noticed our new S has the same stains, though not as pronounced. Because of it‘s mostly locate on the driver’s side, I’m leaning more towards the roof rail attachment as the culprit.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Any follow up to this? Just noticed our new S has the same stains, though not as pronounced. Because of it‘s mostly locate on the driver’s side, I’m leaning more towards the roof rail attachment as the culprit.

They are blaming the conduits for the tailgate wiring harnesses at the top of the tailgate as the ingress point in our case.

Just went to pick it up today and was in no way satisfied with the headliner install.

Dirty fingerprints all over the tan A/B/C pillars and headliner.

Things just out of alignment, not mating cleanly and not tucked into weather stripping around doors and such. Wiring for the auto dimming mirror and the dash cam I installed not even tucked into the headliner.

I looked at it for about 30 seconds before I went back inside looked at the guy who did the pickup for me and said, “Nope. Car has 600 miles on it. It’s not put back together correctly.”

Took their rental car again and was on my way. This was a dealership I trust too. Just made me sad to see a bunch of amateur hour stuff coming out of there.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
That’s too bad.

I was thinking more about my situation and am now coming to the idea that mine was stained during the tint install.

I just had tint installed today and when I was placing the hatch blocks to raise back the floor, I noticed the surface of the flooring a bit wet. ( I had lowered the floor to give them more room in case they needed to get in the hatch area to complete the rear side windows. I didn't feel any dampness on the floor nor the cargo mat)

I then adjusted the rear LED light for the hatch area and that's when I noticed the stained head liner. It looked almost exactly the same as your picture. With the light fixture hanging, I couldn't feel any wetness inside the liner.

Looking at the shape of the trim that butts up against the liner, I think the tint solution ran down the plastic trim and into the headliner, which just wicked up the fluid.

i had hand washed the car before applying ceramic coating and then installed the rear light bulb and never noticed any stain nor felt any dampness.

It would suck if your experience mirrored mine, only to have the dealer butcher the car.