GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Windshield Saint-Gobain with light/rain sensor

pantsos

Ready to race!
Is Pilkington considered good quality? I know they're an OEM supplier (although not the OEM supplier for US market GTIs) but are they a quality "aftermarket" replacement?

The dealer will install a Pilkington replacement for $425, and a "original" brand for $700+.

I would eat the extra cost if I could confirm it's a Saint-Gobain, but the dealer just tells me it's "the OEM windshield." I'm not paying an extra $300 for another Vitro unit.

If you can’t get Saint-Gobain Pilkington is the second choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The stock windshield meets VW specs so if you don't like it blame the specs not the country of assembly. And maybe the stock windshields are not made in Mexico. I don't know for certain.

"Meets VW specs". Sure. What that means is whoever they are using was the lowest bidder. And yes, for Puebla-built VW's, the glass is Hecho in Mexico.

If it makes you guys feel any better, the OEM glass in the R, which comes from the other side of the Atlantic, is also crap. Most auto glass today is all crap.

I'd still rather use any of the OEM glass than allow something like generic Safelite Chinese glass on any car of mine.

videoguy009

Ready to race!
I just had mine replaced under warranty on my 2019 as it had a stress crack.I didn't see what make it was on the original but the replacement is Saint-Gobain Sekurit.It is stamped on the glass. (Sekurit was also stamped on the glass on my classic bugs) It took the dealer 3 weeks to get it so it may have been ordered from Germany.I found out later that the windshield costs 1400.00 if you were to buy it.

Slipstream

loweritonh&rsports.com
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
FWIW, these are all the Saint Gobain part numbers... This is linked in my original thread that Southpaw linked a few days ago.

http://saint-gobain-autover.com/sites/default/files/VW Golf VII 2013 Product Announcement.pdf

For what it's worth, I can't find a single shop around here that can get Saint-Gobain (or even know what I'm talking about). I finally found one that was willing to investigate, but I would have to "source it myself" if I really wanted them to install it. This might be a brand that's more easily accessible in larger markets?

Your post was what got me curious about SGS initially, RTB.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
For what it's worth, I can't find a single shop around here that can get Saint-Gobain (or even know what I'm talking about). I finally found one that was willing to investigate, but I would have to "source it myself" if I really wanted them to install it. This might be a brand that's more easily accessible in larger markets?

Your post was what got me curious about SGS initially, RTB.

Really? They don't know what SGS is? They're on of the oldest and most well-respected auto glass companies out there, and are OEM for MANY automakers, so that's pretty suspect.

I definitely had to call around, but there were a few guys in the area who could get it. Maybe since it's the Bay Area and there's so many Euro cars here? Not sure what the distribution of Euro/Asian/Domestic cars is in Omaha where you are.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Really? They don't know what SGS is? They're on of the oldest and most well-respected auto glass companies out there, and are OEM for MANY automakers, so that's pretty suspect.

I definitely had to call around, but there were a few guys in the area who could get it. Maybe since it's the Bay Area and there's so many Euro cars here? Not sure what the distribution of Euro/Asian/Domestic cars is in Omaha where you are.

I'm not sure they have running water in Omaha, frankly.

Slipstream

loweritonh&rsports.com
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

I was surprised too, but both VW dealer parts departments I called just shrugged and admitted that all they know is the windshields "have the VW logo on them." The independent shops were anywhere from equally clueless to totally useless.

Most seemed willing to help but had no idea where to source it. If there's a USDM distributor I could point them to, that might help?

If not, I'll probably bite the bullet and go with a Pilkington and hope the quality is good.

ReflexSilverSport

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry to revive an old thread. I'm going to make an attempt at the Sekurit challenge and try to find this glass. Any chance any of you downloaded and still have the PDF linked below and wouldn't mind sharing? Link is dead and so is the website. Not a good start, lol.

FWIW, these are all the Saint Gobain part numbers... This is linked in my original thread that Southpaw linked a few days ago.

http://saint-gobain-autover.com/sites/default/files/VW Golf VII 2013 Product Announcement.pdf