GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 golf r

Rosscot

Car(s)
Mk7 golf r 2015
Hi guys am new of owning golf r after selling my r32 so had the car a few weeks runs great was about to use the car to go shopping and the car struggled to start once started was fine for the day checked the voltage for the battery I believe it was around 12.48 left it over night was about 12.38 and started no problem this time

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
If original battery might be worth replacing if you got 200 bucks to lose, or you can try reseating the terminal clamps on the battery posts. Sometimes an imperfect connection causes dumb issues like that. Autozone tests batteries for free as well if you wanna be sure.

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Ross do you know the service history of the car and how many miles are on the car was this a one time thing or has it occurred several times if something only happened once it is hard to diagnose any CEL on it the more info you can give the better

:D

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
If original battery might be worth replacing if you got 200 bucks to lose, or you can try reseating the terminal clamps on the battery posts. Sometimes an imperfect connection causes dumb issues like that. Autozone tests batteries for free as well if you wanna be sure.
This is always a good first thing to do. Low voltage is a bad thing for modern cars that run almost entirely off of electrical components and computers and, by cleaning the battery terminals and cable clamps thoroughly, you remove resistance that usually brings the voltage back up to a better level for a while. That gives you time to test the battery and prepare for buying a new one if needed.

I had a 2005 Corvette that would not start because the voltage was not high enough to get the column lock (a common failure point) to disengage. Voltage on the ECU was 11 or so but at the terminals was 12.5 or so. Plenty to start the car but not enough to get the ECU to get the column lock to disengage. I started carrying around a wrench and battery terminal cleaner so I could disconnect it, clean the terminals and clamps, reconnect and BAM! Car fired up.

It's a cheap and easy thing to do first.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This is always a good first thing to do. Low voltage is a bad thing for modern cars that run almost entirely off of electrical components and computers and, by cleaning the battery terminals and cable clamps thoroughly, you remove resistance that usually brings the voltage back up to a better level for a while. That gives you time to test the battery and prepare for buying a new one if needed.

I had a 2005 Corvette that would not start because the voltage was not high enough to get the column lock (a common failure point) to disengage. Voltage on the ECU was 11 or so but at the terminals was 12.5 or so. Plenty to start the car but not enough to get the ECU to get the column lock to disengage. I started carrying around a wrench and battery terminal cleaner so I could disconnect it, clean the terminals and clamps, reconnect and BAM! Car fired up.

It's a cheap and easy thing to do first.

If I get a 2005 Corvette I'll keep that in mind. 😂

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi guys am new of owning golf r after selling my r32 so had the car a few weeks runs great was about to use the car to go shopping and the car struggled to start once started was fine for the day checked the voltage for the battery I believe it was around 12.48 left it over night was about 12.38 and started no problem this time

Welcome to the forum.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
My 2015 R's battery gave out about 4 months ago--almost exactly 5 years to the day after picking it up from the dealer. I had about 28,000 miles on it then. 5 years on any battery is a heck of a long time.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
My 2015 R's battery gave out about 4 months ago--almost exactly 5 years to the day after picking it up from the dealer. I had about 28,000 miles on it then. 5 years on any battery is a heck of a long time.

You did well! Mine died at 26 months. My next one died about 2 months ago, so it lasted about 32 months. Bought an OEM from the dealer as they have 36 month 100% warranty and then pro rate for 24 months after that. My car on the first battery was always very close to my key (<30 feet away). Since I have moved—and my key is out of range—my battery has lasted longer. Something to think about if you keep your keys close to your vehicle, definitely seems like they are in constant communication with each other.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You did well! Mine died at 26 months. My next one died about 2 months ago, so it lasted about 32 months. Bought an OEM from the dealer as they have 36 month 100% warranty and then pro rate for 24 months after that. My car on the first battery was always very close to my key (<30 feet away). Since I have moved—and my key is out of range—my battery has lasted longer. Something to think about if you keep your keys close to your vehicle, definitely seems like they are in constant communication with each other.

So keeping the key fob out of range helps the battery in the car last longer? I knew it helped the key fob battery but I never thought of the car battery.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
So keeping the key fob out of range helps the battery in the car last longer? I knew it helped the key fob battery but I never thought of the car battery.
I think they just have a constant communication with each other if they are in close vicinity. But yes, battery in my fob was being replaced every 9 months or so. Haven't replaced in a couple of years.