GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it possible I need brake work at 23,000?

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I noticed some suspicious looking grooves on my back rotors yesterday. Could it be possible I need brake work at 23,000 miles? I am under the impression brakes last ALOT longer.
Would these grooves warrent the need for rotor "machining"? I'm clueless when it comes to brakes, so I'm not sure if I could do the work myself (especially if the rotors need to be repaired).

Are these grooves a sign of repair needed or do I have nothing to worry about?

Attachments

• IMG_8509.JPG
    IMG_8509.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 102

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
It's possible a rock got caught in there. You might need a new rotor, depending on how deep it is. I got a similar groove in mine so I'll definitely need to change the rotors when I track.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Have you had to drive in a lot of snow this year and does Denver use salt on the roads? If so this could be just a sign of debris getting lodged in the brake pads and scoring the rotors a little. Have you looked at the pads to be sure that they have sufficient thickness left? How deep are the grooves you see, that is, are they really just surfacing scoring and deep grooves?

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Yes I drive quite often in the snow/salt.

I guess the grooves are not as deep as I thought. The one pictured barely catches my fingernail. It appears that there is still quite a bit of pad left. Ya'll think I'm just fine?
Or would it be worth taking the wheel off to see if I can clear the debris in question?

Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• IMG_8511.JPG
    IMG_8511.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8514.JPG
    IMG_8514.JPG
    854 KB · Views: 76

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Pads look fine, rotor has some scoring but nothing bad and I have seen much worse. If you wanted to you could remove the wheel and the pads from the caliper and clean the caliper and rotor with brake clean and lightly sandpaper the pads if they are scored, but not too much. If you don't feel a vibration or dragging from the rear, then you could leave them as is, then install new pads and rotors when the existing pads are requiring replacement.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Grooves seems to occur frequently but, it is only an issue if they are so deep it is causing vibration from pad deposits.
XDS+ keeps the rears brakes working more than you'd think. If you have access to Vagcom/Obdeleven you can try out the car with it turned off. You might just like it, especially if you have VAQ or you added an LSD (y)