GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 3 (IS38) Integrated Engineering and found a way to pass Texas emissions?

Taim

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI MT PP
Hey folks,

I am running IE stage 1 and I realized you can't pass Texas emissions unless you flash back to stock. I am considering an IS38+ and IE stage 3. And that got me thinking...I am wondering if anyone here has gone IE stage 3 (IS38) on their mk7 GTI and has found a way to pass emissions in Texas? I am not a fan of the idea that I have to yank a turbo and down pipe and reset to stock to pass emissions.

Taim

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI MT PP
Did I ask an old question or do people not use this forum? I know Dallas county requires "ready only" to pass and IE software will not get you there. That's a flash back to stock. So...maybe...can you run a stock tune with an IS38 and dp and get a "ready" signal? Again, yanking a turbo to pass emissions is a no go for me.

Taim

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI MT PP
Thanks Bentin. I'll give them a try. I'm certain folks have gotten passed this issue. Just want to know what I'm signing up for.

Thanks again.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Thanks Bentin. I'll give them a try. I'm certain folks have gotten passed this issue. Just want to know what I'm signing up for.

Thanks again.
Let us know what you find out. I'm fine with the ol' IS20 and Stage 1, but always nice to know what's needed to go deeper down the rabbit hole.

Taim

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI MT PP
Hey Bentin.

Will do. Take care and see you out there.

Taim.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Hey Bentin.

Will do. Take care and see you out there.

Taim.

I recently moved down to Austin after a few decades up there, but the guys at BMP are good and the scene up there is fun. Guess trading MSR for COTA isn't a bad one, assuming we ever get back to those things.
I do still work for a Dallas company so get up there every month or so.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hey folks,

I am running IE stage 1 and I realized you can't pass Texas emissions unless you flash back to stock. I am considering an IS38+ and IE stage 3. And that got me thinking...I am wondering if anyone here has gone IE stage 3 (IS38) on their mk7 GTI and has found a way to pass emissions in Texas? I am not a fan of the idea that I have to yank a turbo and down pipe and reset to stock to pass emissions.

Looks like they only do the ODBII test in Texas, which is what is normally done on a car 1996 or newer, a car setup as you described would not pass smog because of the lack of a stock catalytic convertor. As long as the IE tune does not suppress the check engine light (if it does you would have to flash back to stock which takes 5 min) that would be produced from no or high flo cat you would not need to change tune.

That leaves the performance downpipe that either needs to be replaced (put stock back on for test) or you will need to put a spacer on the 02 sensor that is just past the hi flo cat or where the cat normally would be if you have a catless downpipe. The system check is looking for a difference in readings between pre cat 02 and post cat 02. Companies like Vibrant make spacers for the 02 sensor that is downstream. By pulling the tip of the last O2 sensor partially out of the exhaust stream it makes the car think the catalytic convertor is in place and doing its job, even when it isn't.

After making said change you normally have to drive the car under varying conditions for 50 miles or so after clearing codes. Or, if you have the Ross Tech VDS cable you can run a routine that simulates the driving and at the end of it does the same ODBII test the smog place would do and report back readiness of your emissions system.

Taim

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI MT PP
Hey GIACUser,

Thanks for your insight.

Yes, Texas requires a readiness check requirement on an OBDII scan. IE Stage 1 does not pass because certain modules are not in readiness. So, I had to flash back to stock from Stage 1. At Stage 3 (Downpipe and IS38), I assume IE will not meet readiness. So, if you flash to stock with an IS38 and hi-flo cat downpipe with spacer in place, can you still drive it for 50 miles to prep?

I have an OBD11 but if a Ross Tech VCDS is the only tool to force readiness, that could work.

I guess the question becomes...can you drive an IS38 GTI on a stock tune and not screw your car up?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Just to clariy one point, you cannot "force" readiness with any tool or software,. Ross-Tech will just run the test and let you know if you are ready..
Yes, with some obvious prudence, you can drive your is38 equipped car with your stock tune for the miles it takes to get it to adapt, just clear all error codes before you start your driving. Just drive it normally not like a race car.

Taim

Car(s)
2016 VW GTI MT PP
Thanks so much. That helps make the decision. If I can drive my GTI very gently with an IS38 on the stock tune with a high flow catted downpipe with spacer, to pass readiness. That gets me there.??

tehMoose

Car(s)
MKVII GTI SE
my gti (is38 with catted downpipe) is due for inspection here in the next couple months. I'm down in austin, but I don't expect to have any troubles passing.

I've never heard of the "flash back to stock" deal before. hell, before I had the GTI, i had a c7 with long tubes with catless mid pipes and a tune and was able to pass inspection. I feel that people here are pretty chill when it comes to passing. At least around here, they really only care about the obvious and safety pieces.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
my gti (is38 with catted downpipe) is due for inspection here in the next couple months. I'm down in austin, but I don't expect to have any troubles passing.

I've never heard of the "flash back to stock" deal before. hell, before I had the GTI, i had a c7 with long tubes with catless mid pipes and a tune and was able to pass inspection. I feel that people here are pretty chill when it comes to passing. At least around here, they really only care about the obvious and safety pieces.

As long a your tune doesn't disable the rear O2 sensor, you'll be fine. AFAIK, anything above stage 1 disables it unless you specified a non test pipe tune.

That being said, you can check readiness before you even go for inspection using either OBD11 or just a generic OBD scanner with an app like Torque.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
As long a your tune doesn't disable the rear O2 sensor, you'll be fine. AFAIK, anything above stage 1 disables it unless you specified a non test pipe tune.

That being said, you can check readiness before you even go for inspection using either OBD11 or just a generic OBD scanner with an app like Torque.

You pass in Texas with one ODBII readiness failure so may not have to do anything. Just check it and see if you have more than one point of failure.