GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adjusting Parking (emergency) brake

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Unfortunately that didn't work - just made it more loose. I think the cable needs to be retracted in some other manner.
If the above procedure didn't work, you have another issue in play or you performed the procedure incorrectly. There should be no alert going off.

ervybaby

Car(s)
Golf2015 Mk7 TSi 1.8
Depressing brake pedal had no effect - I opened up the casing around the hand-brake and tightened the lock-nut holding the handbrake lever and cable. That's it.

Post edit to my solution above : you should verify why the handbrake has slack - I found out later the left cable had too much slack and was causing the bracket underneath the console box to be uneven. I cheated a little adding some spacers on the left cable to make them both even and slightly tightening the nut. Just tightening the nut alone is not the best way to fix the problem as you should raise the car and remove rear wheels to inspect the end of the brake cable at the caliper to see what's going on. Ultimately you may need to replace the cable if it has stretched too long and readjust the hand brake bracket.

Last edited:

capridp

Car(s)
2015 VW Golf TSI
Just did my rear brakes (new calipers, rotors and pads) but the hand brake went soft. I don't have ebrakes. Is it the same process ie self-adjusting as the ebrake suggestion of simply pumping the brakes and pulling up on the handle a few times?