GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Idle Hands (or the quest for a 480 mile tank)

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
OMG. You did it. The crazy son of a bitch, YOU DID IT! Now, Adam1991 said it was "easy". Please verify the easiness of it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would go until it runs out. I've driven 20 miles when the range indicator said zero. And when I did fill up it took 12.1 gallons so I had about a gallon left in the tank. I think you'll make it to 500.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
500.5 miles !

I didn't think it was possible but I made it w/o running dry.
I Had very little faith I could reach 480 and even less of hitting 500 but with the encouragement/bad advice? of you folks I went for it. No it was not easy and I'll mention again doing it during this Covid Shut Down time is a big reason why it was possible w/o really being an inconvenience to others. Yes I was passed often but I kept in the far right lane and did reasonable speed (limit +5 mph) when I was on back roads with people behind me and no passing lane.

it took 12.64 gallons to fill (first click) and range said 0 for 42 miles!
Car said 37.6 MPG
Math says 38.8 (I added .25 Gallons to math number to cover the extra click at first fill.....see orig post)

pics for proof

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_160154409.jpg
    IMG_20200427_160154409.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20200427_160535208.jpg
    IMG_20200427_160535208.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 139

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Woooo congrats Mud. Adam is probably sitting in his chair saying "See told you it was easy I do it every week"

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I am amazed at what I managed to get out of it for 500 miles. I am claiming 38 MPG for 500 miles. Yeah I know in the real world it's not really possible* but Woot!

Also I'm glad I did it for the extra 20 miles....leaving that untried would have made me think "if only" too much. I did notice after fill up the car gave an estimated range of 520 miles! There must be some type of algorithm of looking at the last xx miles MPG and estimating the range.

If you want to drive fast drive slow for an extended period...this AM's commute at normal traffic flow felt fast. I am going to do my 10 mile Durhamring on the way home cause it's been a while. I would have done it after fill up yesterday but had a gas jug in the back.....Hopefully at lunch I'll remember to air out my tires from the 40 psi.

*easy

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I am amazed at what I managed to get out of it for 500 miles. I am claiming 38 MPG for 500 miles. Yeah I know in the real world it's not really possible* but Woot!

Also I'm glad I did it for the extra 20 miles....leaving that untried would have made me think "if only" too much. I did notice after fill up the car gave an estimated range of 520 miles! There must be some type of algorithm of looking at the last xx miles MPG and estimating the range.

If you want to drive fast drive slow for an extended period...this AM's commute at normal traffic flow felt fast. I am going to do my 10 mile Durhamring on the way home cause it's been a while. I would have done it after fill up yesterday but had a gas jug in the back.....Hopefully at lunch I'll remember to air out my tires from the 40 psi.

*easy
I wonder if the ECU "gets used to" your driving habits and adjusts fueling based on that. My estimates are always way higher than what I can actually get out of it but never above 450

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I guess we need a MPG subforum in addition to the VS now 😂

Great job. Sure that took some patience