GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lumpy gear change 7 speed DSG

Mikkels

My Golf is a 2014 1.4 l. 140PS DSG 7. Has done 75,000 km and has developed lumpy gear changing in lower gears. Seems worse taking it easy changes are a bit sudden and not smooth. I received a recall notice about 3 months ago regarding the mechatronic unit however VW are not doing the repairs as yet in NZ. Could it be that? Car has been trouble free from new until now. Is there any servicing specific to the DSG? Has been serviced by VW until 50,000 km. I have since done an oil change and spark plugs at 62,000 km.

Any advice appreciated.

Rollux

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 1.4TSi
Clutches are worn out.
Give Andy @ VAG Automotive a bell, he will sort you out with new clutches and upgraded software to stop it destroying the clutches again

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Not sure I would say clutches are worn out...you can start with the basics like a dsg trans fluid change

Rollux

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 1.4TSi
As yours ( and mine, for that matter) is the dry clutch DQ200, the oil in the box is for the gears only. There is also fluid in the mechatronics unit.
The mech recall is for the pressure accumulator ( it can split apart) and VW NZ don’t have the parts. You may have a mech that is dodgy, but the recall won’t fix that.
As per previous, give Andy @ VAG automotive in Puke a bell when we’re out of lockdown. He supplies replacement parts for the DSGs in VAG all over the country and knows more about these things than most VW dealers. He will be able to get you sorted first time with exactly the issue. Tell him Dan in Blenheim sent you ;)

Mikkels

Andy sounds like the man. Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve had this car from new and never thrashed. Not really thrilled if it has cooked the clutch pack in such a short time. I’m an essential worker and driving daily from Hamilton to Middlemore so clocking up the ks in quick smart at the moment. Hope it keeps going for me.