GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official DIY TTRS Clutch Kit

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’m on the kit FCP used to offer as a package (was around $400 without dmf) for the last couple years and am making 400tq. Still haven’t had any slippage.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I’m on the kit FCP used to offer as a package (was around $400 without dmf) for the last couple years and am making 400tq. Still haven’t had any slippage.
I’m on a hybrid is38, with meth injection on the stock clutch and it’s holding, for now.... that’s why I said aggressive driver, some people can’t even get stage 1 power to hold for long on the stock.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
You might be right, but from my own personal experience, when I upgraded my clutch to the TTRS, at 40k total miles on car, 20k of stage 2 and at least 15-20k miles of slippage, the OEM clutch disk I removed looked pretty much just like the new one I replaced it with. No discernible wear on it at all, while both the PP and especially the DMFW were definitely in the 'thrashed' category.
Very well could be the case because I reused my flywheel as the shop that did labor gave me the go ahead, so it could have caused issues mating with the clutch disc, resulting in slippage down the road. However the more I dug into researching other experiences, especially those with an IS38 GTI, it seemed to point to the weak clutch disc. I could be wrong, I’m just sharing my experience.

This was the flywheel that was reused during the second installation:

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I see elsewhere on the forum that you're having your third go at finding a reliable but dailyable clutch – is there a reason you aren't tempted to go DKM Stage 3, other than the fact that you'd have to buy the whole kit a opposed to just a new pressure plate?
I have heard too many issues with DKM and I would much rather go with a OE German supplier like Sachs. I think my initial mistake was reusing the flywheel, especially after 2nd clutch job when my throw out bearing was faulty. If I put a fresh flywheel on then, maybe the clutch would've been fine? Who really knows. It's not bad but it became very apparent when I was sending logs to my tuner.

Having a lifetime warranty through FCP Euro, I'm able to just order all new parts and return the old ones at no additional cost. I'm going to go for the SRE organic disc this time and a new flywheel and hopefully I won't have to revisit this issue in the near future.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Shortfall of the "original" TTRS kit is the clutch disc, which is a Euro TDI disc - same one offered in the RSR kit. I don't think it'll hold up Stage 2 and beyond.

My TTRS kit has been holding well the past 20k with an IS38 and 15 track days. But this setup only makes 420wtq on a dynojet and I don't launch the car so ymmv

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Interesting, did all of you use a new flywheel?

Maybe it’s the cool weather but initially it started in slip in 4th gear at times. I would usually roll into throttle. That was with the JB4. Now with the custom tune, if I log a 3rd gear run from 3500, I get a nice clutch slip hump in my logs from 3800-4400 rpm and then it holds.

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I used a new dmfw. The stock one had a few hot spots at only 8K from PO riding the clutch.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Has anyone done a TTRS based clutch on a 2015 TDI?

Based on a quick search it appears all the same options for GTI will fit TDI, just wondering if anyone has first hand experience.

A buddy of mine is about due for an upgrade and I’ll be helping him with the installation

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Interesting, did all of you use a new flywheel?

Maybe it’s the cool weather but initially it started in slip in 4th gear at times. I would usually roll into throttle. That was with the JB4. Now with the custom tune, if I log a 3rd gear run from 3500, I get a nice clutch slip hump in my logs from 3800-4400 rpm and then it holds.

I'm a firm believer in not doing the whole clutch job a second time and dealing with break-in again, so if I see a hotspot on a flywheel, it comes out.

Last edited:

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Has anyone done a TTRS based clutch on a 2015 TDI?

Based on a quick search it appears all the same options for GTI will fit TDI, just wondering if anyone has first hand experience.

A buddy of mine is about due for an upgrade and I’ll be helping him with the installation

I got a '15 TDI, but for now it's stock (on power) and I have no slippage @75k miles.

At the same time I don't even launch my GTI (I don't do drag strips, just HPDE), so the TDI just gets driven normally on the street.

There's some tune in its future, so maybe I'll have to revisit the TDI clutch issue then. I know the GTI & TDI disks are interchangeable, but I don't know about the PP, flywheels & TOB, since the Sachs catalogue has them all with different part numbers..

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I got a '15 TDI, but for now it's stock (on power) and I have no slippage @75k miles.

At the same time I don't even launch my GTI (I don't do drag strips, just HPDE), so the TDI just gets driven normally on the street.

There's some tune in its future, so maybe I'll have to revisit the TDI clutch issue then. I know the GTI & TDI disks are interchangeable, but I don't know about the PP, flywheels & TOB, since the Sachs catalogue has them all with different part numbers..

The car in question is Malone Stage 2, and he said it didn’t start slipping till he did his first auto x so at stock power and daily driving I doubt you’ll have issues.

He wants to do a turbo upgrade as well, so the clutch was kinda part of the plan anyway.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
The car in question is Malone Stage 2, and he said it didn’t start slipping till he did his first auto x so at stock power and daily driving I doubt you’ll have issues.

He wants to do a turbo upgrade as well, so the clutch was kinda part of the plan anyway.
Check in with tune my euro...
I met a guy there who had a MK7 TDI manual wagon and had a BUNCH of stuff done to it. I forget the clutch that he used though.
https://www.tunemyeuro.com/vw-and-audi-diesel/

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, 48 pages of great but confusing info. I work for VW and in the Audi catalog the 2010-2014 TTRS shows part number 07K-141-015-B (which is no longer available as a BX which means remanufactured) as being as a 240mm clutch disc and pressure plate kit. I've seen on ShopDAP.com that they have this same part number showing as 340mm. Am I to assume that this is the correct factory kit to pair with the dual mass flywheel? Just need to drill out the three holes a little bigger?

So to make a correct TTRS kit would this work? Along with a new TOB, bolts and probably a rear main as well?

Here's some images from the part catalog I'm looking at right now

1586615529197.png

1586615550354.png

1586615560691.png

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hey guys, 48 pages of great but confusing info. I work for VW and in the Audi catalog the 2010-2014 TTRS shows part number 07K-141-015-B (which is no longer available as a BX which means remanufactured) as being as a 240mm clutch disc and pressure plate kit. I've seen on ShopDAP.com that they have this same part number showing as 340mm. Am I to assume that this is the correct factory kit to pair with the dual mass flywheel? Just need to drill out the three holes a little bigger?

So to make a correct TTRS kit would this work? Along with a new TOB, bolts and probably a rear main as well?

Here's some images from the part catalog I'm looking at right now

View attachment 169852
View attachment 169853
View attachment 169854

From what I understand, granted I went the DKM route and haven’t installed a TTRS:

You need the TTRS clutch (comes with pressure plate and disk), but you DON’T use the TTRS disk as it has a different input shaft spline than Gti.

You can’t buy just the disk or pressure plate individually, so you also buy a Gti clutch (includes pressure plate and disk), but only use the disk.