GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gas prices

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
well, all gas is still 5% off with Chase Freedom for this quarter anyway, so woo! (OK, only what, ~1 week left on that, but still!)

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Young punks.... Growing up in California I remember 16/17 cents for regular (I don't remember if anybody used ethyl) and green stamps to go along with that. When I started driving it was 33 cents a gallon in the US.

In the DC burbs of Virginia, cheap regular is $2.03 with premium at 2.63 - of course there is that one station right off the highway with $3.99 for regular....

$0.15.9/gallon and either S&H green stamps or Plaid stamps. The man checked the oil level and radiator coolant level, washed the windshield.

But I'm still not too old to drive a GTI.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
When i first started driving i remember gas was $0.87/gallon for regular. I remember scraping up change to have enough gas to drive somewhere.

Locally i see some gas stations at $1.49 for regular but premium is still around $2.15. They are dropping though.

This pains me to say this but when I first started driving gas was $0.29 per gallon.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I remember when it was a big deal that gas had broke $1 per gallon, and then an even bigger deal when diesel surpassed gas.

I was just a kid, but diesel went from 40 cents cheaper than regular to more than premium in one year and has stayed that way since for the most part. I believe that was late 1990s or very early 2000s

I vividly remember when gas went over $1 per gallon. I owned a gas station in Ohio at the time and my gas price sign wasn't designed to go over 99 cents per gallon.

cb1111

$0.15.9/gallon and either S&H green stamps or Plaid stamps. The man checked the oil level and radiator coolant level, washed the windshield.

But I'm still not too old to drive a GTI.
Yeah, I forgot about that. Back then it was full service for those 16 cents

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT

30 cents for gas might sound like little in the 60s but it's was actually around $2.50 in today's money....

The truth is gas prices haven't changed THAT much over the last 100 years.....They hover usually around $2.50 in 2020 dollars, with some dips to the high $1s during surplus... in times of scarcity/manipulation, it has hit around $4 in 2020 dollars a few times as you can see...

Right now I saw the US average is at $2.21 (March 23 2020)

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Yeah, i filled up yesterday $2.44 Shell.... the regular was $1.94.... But California is still part of the US, no? Gotta include them in the average!

Also, that average was from the 23rd... AAA has it at 2.05 now (3/27) for Regular

https://gasprices.aaa.com/

codypka

Go Kart Champion
on a related note I can't be the only person who's MPG are dropping dramatically due to the empty roads and being able to absolutely fly. Note to self, going 85 to and from work instead of a traffic limited 70 will cause a MPG drop from 30ish to 26ish

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Prices went back up a bit, but think that is more of the 5 stations in competition around me doing their typical drop then up +.20 than anything else.

***Old fart story time alert***
My grandmom along with my great aunt and uncle owned a Gulf station and quick stop market off Rt. 9 near Black Mountain NC. Remember when I was single digit age that gas was .26 for regular and .31 for super. .05 for more lead! Older friend at the time was the "pump flunkie" that did all the checks and windshield service. Hated wearing that stupid hat they made him put on to greet customers with. And I remember "buying" lots of stuff with the millions of books of S&H Green Stamps my mom collected. Good ole days.

I may be a bit crusty, but still love drivin my GTI.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Prices went back up a bit, but think that is more of the 5 stations in competition around me doing their typical drop then up +.20 than anything else.

***Old fart story time alert***
My grandmom along with my great aunt and uncle owned a Gulf station and quick stop market off Rt. 9 near Black Mountain NC. Remember when I was single digit age that gas was .26 for regular and .31 for super. .05 for more lead! Older friend at the time was the "pump flunkie" that did all the checks and windshield service. Hated wearing that stupid hat they made him put on to greet customers with. And I remember "buying" lots of stuff with the millions of books of S&H Green Stamps my mom collected. Good ole days.

I may be a bit crusty, but still love drivin my GTI.

In Ohio for me as a kid it was Top Value yellow stamps.