GOLFMKV

Too much oil

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
just drive it for 5 miles at the rate these cars burn oil it'll be like nothing happened

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
IF you were halfway down, and actually added "1 pint" as you say - that's half a quart. You're fine lol.

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
It's mostly based on multiples of 2 and 4. Once ounce is 2 tablespoons, one cup is 8 ounces, 2 times that (16) is a pint, 2 times that is a quart (32 ounces) and 4 times that is a gallon. 13 times that and you have a full GTI.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's mostly based on multiples of 2 and 4. Once ounce is 2 tablespoons, one cup is 8 ounces, 2 times that (16) is a pint, 2 times that is a quart (32 ounces) and 4 times that is a gallon. 13 times that and you have a full GTI.

I've never measured the oil that I was adding to my engine in tablespoons before. ?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Ah, I was using the tube for putting the oil in. Cheers.

You were adding oil through a tube inserted in the dipstick tube? Also, how are you checking the oil level? After driving and waiting a few minutes then check on a level surface or some other way?

A bit over the top hash mark won't cause any issues, but a significant amount over could. Adding a pint when things are in the middle likely did not cause overfill. Did you check immediately after adding oil, or did you start the engine and run for a bit? Could be why it read higher if you did the former.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
You were adding oil through a tube inserted in the dipstick tube? Also, how are you checking the oil level? After driving and waiting a few minutes then check on a level surface or some other way?

A bit over the top hash mark won't cause any issues, but a significant amount over could. Adding a pint when things are in the middle likely did not cause overfill. Did you check immediately after adding oil, or did you start the engine and run for a bit? Could be why it read higher if you did the former.
All proper procedures were followed. Life is great now. Thanks!