GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
My battery is leaking. Will I risk getting a TD1 flag if I go through warranty at the dealer? Or should I just buy my own battery.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Unless they warranty it why would you bother? Do you have start/stop? Sounds like a hassle.

No start/stop. Not familiar with batteries, so not sure if this should be replaced immediately. Don't really want to go through the dealer, but it may be free - but at what cost?

Jonnymk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Is it bad to drive in sport mode/individual mode all the time? I just got my gti and ive been messing around seeing how i like the modes and so far i enjoy sport a lot. One thing that happened to me earlier though was i was on the highway revved it up in third and then went to 4th and idk how or what happened but it almost felt like i missed a gear or went out of it and the car revved super high jerking the car? Im probably not making much sense but im just worried im already wrecking my new car.

Ive always driven manual but i really just suck at this car. Ive chugged it a few times and all that and im worried im ruining the clutch too.

Thanks for any help guys.
It probably has more wear on tranny in sport mode and sucks up more gas. Normally I just leave it in D. But use paddles when driving spirited.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
How old is your car? How many miles? What is the battery warranty for your year car?

Just over 2 years old, still within the 3 year battery warranty. I don’t go to the dealer for anything other than warranty issues.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My battery is leaking. Will I risk getting a TD1 flag if I go through warranty at the dealer? Or should I just buy my own battery.

My dealer has performed non powertrain related warranty work without scanning my car. Also you will need to do the battery adaptation.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's when I figure they'd plug into your car.

I asked my dealer about that and was told you can install a battery without the adaptation and it will run. But it's possible that the safety systems like forward collision braking etc might need to have the dealer do the adaptation. Was also told that they will not hook up the car to scan. I'm FBO IS38 and the dealer replaced my leaking thermostat housing and I didn't get TD1.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I dont sugar coat it, your battery is old, car is 2 years, from dealer battery is 3-3.5 years old. Batteries last 3-5. Maybe bite the bullet and buy a new one and replace

He said it's under warranty so why should he spend money he doesn't need to.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Tough call on the battery thing. Dealer MIGHT hook it up to the mothership, and if they do, you'll get flagged. For me, options would be:

1) ASK the service writer or service manager if they are going to hook it up or not? Be honest, admit you're tuned, battery has nothing to do with a tune, so you only want them replacing it if they'll assure you it won't be connected and allowed to "phone home". Seems potentially risky though to tip them off.

2) Bite the bullet and just buy a new battery - advantage here is you can replace it with a better battery that will last longer. I put an H6 (which is larger) AGM battery in my first R when it croaked at 24 months. Adapting it to the car took about 30 seconds with OBDeleven.

I'd probably opt for #2. Good luck.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Tough call on the battery thing. Dealer MIGHT hook it up to the mothership, and if they do, you'll get flagged. For me, options would be:

1) ASK the service writer or service manager if they are going to hook it up or not? Be honest, admit you're tuned, battery has nothing to do with a tune, so you only want them replacing it if they'll assure you it won't be connected and allowed to "phone home". Seems potentially risky though to tip them off.

2) Bite the bullet and just buy a new battery - advantage here is you can replace it with a better battery that will last longer. I put an H6 (which is larger) AGM battery in my first R when it croaked at 24 months. Adapting it to the car took about 30 seconds with OBDeleven.

I'd probably opt for #2. Good luck.

That would be a dealer that I never go to again.