GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

On the fence to keep it or turn in?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Civic Type R (used), Si, or Touring (if want hatch), Mazda3 to name a few. Pros/cons to each vs GTI, but fun/value is pretty high for these vehicles, as well. Up to you to decide if that is "true" to you.

As for OP's specific situation, it sounds like minor issues to his GTI and wouldn't bother me much at all, especially if dealer is taking care of under warranty. Also, financially, you will probably be "worse-off" by dumping and getting something else. Personal opinion would be to stick with the GTI at only 24k miles and very little issues, but that's me. Good luck!
CTR is an R competitor, not GTI. SI is having issues with the 1.5l, and the Mazda 3 is so slow, it's not really a good replacement.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Keep it, none of that warrants concern but I also do all of my own repairs.

Also keep in mind all manufacturers are using plastic bits. BMW has been using plastic water pump impellers since the 90's, Toyota uses plastic bits on there cooling systems and oil filter canisters.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Modern german cars (vw Audi bmw) aren't really made to be long term trouble free cars. They fun when they're new when everything still works but all that plastic and complex electronics will drain your wallet years down the road.
Again show me a modern car that doesn't have complex electronics and plastic used everywhere.
Some of the stupid shit people say on this site is overwhelming at times.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Again show me a modern car that doesn't have complex electronics and plastic used everywhere.

Plastic is extremely strong and the general population tends to forget that. It does become brittle with age, but metal rusts. My wife's Jetta has steel oil and trans pan, car is 5 years old and already showing specs of rust on it.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
CTR is an R competitor, not GTI. SI is having issues with the 1.5l, and the Mazda 3 is so slow, it's not really a good replacement.
Yeah, it's a tough car to nail down. It's certainly faster than either but closer in price to an SE or Autobahn GTI than the R.

I considered one before buying my current GTI. The CTR drives better, the suspension is much better done and the brake and transmission feel are much better. But it's eye searingly ugly, inside and out and it's a massive thing, it's nearly a foot longer than our cars and only two inches shorter than our previous boat of a 3 series.

_cruster

Ready to race!

chrisk03

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI-AB DSG

Not sure of your point and you're entitled to your opinion, but OP asked about a more reliable vehicle and you said... "what fun car offers as much value for 30k that's more reliable." The CTR, SI and Mazda 3 all fit that bill, POTENTIALLY, for the OP, that's all. I would agree with anyone who says Honda reliability has gone down over the years, but it's certainly not "worse" than VW.

BlackDog68

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16 GTI autobahn dsg
I’d at least look into lemon law in your state and see if you should start a claim. 24k and already new tires and a valve cover? Sounds like a lemon to me. I‘m a glutton for punish, i was a Saab guy, then a VW guy, when they’re good they’re great when they’re not they REALLY suck!
Ok , mea culpa, I never should have said this was a lemon. I should have said if you're concerned it's a lemon (which you have since said no) then you might want to look into the law to see what documentation is needed. After a more careful read of your concerns I agree with the group, you own a VW, they're a little higher maintenance* but a lot more fun.
* I've owned 13 cars, 5 of them VWs and I just bought my used 2016 GTI over an new Civic sport or Elantra GT because it's more fun and I'm willing to do a little more work to have that fun. My apologies to the group for creating this churn.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not sure of your point and you're entitled to your opinion, but OP asked about a more reliable vehicle and you said... "what fun car offers as much value for 30k that's more reliable." The CTR, SI and Mazda 3 all fit that bill, POTENTIALLY, for the OP, that's all. I would agree with anyone who says Honda reliability has gone down over the years, but it's certainly not "worse" than VW.

That's awesome, please point me to the $30k CTR's. I can't seem to find them. SI is legit option, but slower in a straight line if that's important to you, and no more reliable, and the Mazda 3 is pig slow.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
That's awesome, please point me to the $30k CTR's. I can't seem to find them. SI is legit option, but slower in a straight line if that's important to you, and no more reliable, and the Mazda 3 is pig slow.

The 3 is slow, has a solid rear axle and has a blind spot that could hide an Escalade. The Civic Si is a weird drive, great chassis and responses, but it has Subaru levels of lag from that little motor. It reminds me of a friend's old F355 with the flappy paddles, a riot if driven in anger, but awful if you're just trying to get somewhere at a similar pace to those around you.

The changes to the 2020 CTR are nice enough that I wouldn't do this myself, but there are a few used ones for less than $30k and one with under 6k miles on Cars.com. I am in no way suggesting that a CTR would be a cheaper car to maintain than a stock GTI though.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I’d at least look into lemon law in your state and see if you should start a claim. 24k and already new tires and a valve cover? Sounds like a lemon to me. I‘m a glutton for punish, i was a Saab guy, then a VW guy, when they’re good they’re great when they’re not they REALLY suck!
This is horrible advice. Lemon law claims can only be made after returning the car to the dealer for the same issue after a "reasonable number of attempts has been made to repair the issue". I put a new set of tires on at 10k-ish because the OEM ones were trash. Are you 100% sure its a bad gasket on the valve cover? Its very likely to be just oil seepage from the oil cap - its well documented and happens on almost everyones GTI at some point. You are still WELL under the warranty period and everything you described is common, so you have plenty of time to decide if its worth keeping or not. You could always get it fixed and then if it happens again then get rid of it.

Last edited:

Hotsky

Ready to race!
So is some of stupid shit people say to make themselves feel better about their auto choices.

Vw is famous for electronic gremlins. And look around not every new make and model out there is half plastic under the hood.

cb1111

Just to close the loop on lemon laws. While each state has their own spin on the laws, in general, one can say:

The problem must affect driveability significantly which significantly impairs the use, market value, or safety of the motor vehicle
The problem must have appeared in the first 18 months or 18k miles (this really varies by state)
The dealer must have been given a reasonable number of times (usually 3) to resolve the issue - or the car must have been in repair for at least 30 days.
The dealer was not able to fix the issue.

None of the issues raised by the OP even come close to falling under the lemon laws.

From the VA law that is pretty close to most other states:

B. It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to any warranty and that the motor vehicle is significantly impaired if during the period of eighteen months following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer either:
1. The same nonconformity has been subject to repair three or more times by the manufacturer, its agents or its authorized dealers and the same nonconformity continues to exist;
2. The nonconformity is a serious safety defect and has been subject to repair one or more times by the manufacturer, its agent or its authorized dealer and the same nonconformity continues to exist; or
3. The motor vehicle is out of service due to repair for a cumulative total of thirty calendar days, unless such repairs could not be performed because of conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers, including war, invasion, strike, fire, flood or other natural disasters.