GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
I'll give the Neuspeed one thing.. because the air moved slow.. it cooled a lot faster than my oem or even my treadstone does. like the temp shot down very fast, almost too fast to read. but once my tuner looked at my logs and said something is very restricted in front... and i had changed to that intercooler, it made sense. then, mygolf dude did a test a couple weeks later and confirmed the exact same thing regarding flow. That's when i sold it.

I still think about just going back to a stock intercooler sometimes... this stuff is just too much to take in and analyze. wonder if i should have just stayed with the Neuspeed IS38 IC to begin with... I bought that godamn thing TWICE....

i just cant get over how it flows only a bit more than HALF what the stock crappy IC flows..

View attachment 163864

I need to keep my Treadsone anyway.. mainly because I use its hose couplers to mount my fog lights..

The air moving through the Neuspeed FMIC would not be slow versus the OEM and Treadstone. Compared to those two the Neuspeed seems to have less area for air to pass through, based on the core dimensions and number of charge air rows, which would result in a higher velocity through the core. Just as drag on your car increases with the speed that the car passes through the air so does the internal drag of the core increase with increasing air velocity.

It's not likely that the rate of change of IAT reading occurred as a result of the core, I've logged the temperature leaving the core and it is significantly less than what the IAT sensor reports.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
So between the ecs,cts and jd eurosports which one is better for California?

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
So between the ecs,cts and jd eurosports which one is better for California?
I don't think you'll go wrong with either of those. I just installed the ECS Tuning FMIC and there's no doubt it's a noticeable improvement. $425 shipped (on sale) is hard to beat.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I don't think you'll go wrong with either of those. I just installed the ECS Tuning FMIC and there's no doubt it's a noticeable improvement. $425 shipped (on sale) is hard to beat.
Hell of a price. Looks big, too.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Keep an eye on where they “engineered” it to rub on the AC condenser lines. It could eventually cut through them, they’re the only FMIC I’ve seen that doesn’t have proper clearance there

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed

Man $425 sounds like a great deal I’ll be keeping my eye out for a deal like that.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Keep an eye on where they “engineered” it to rub on the AC condenser lines. It could eventually cut through them, they’re the only FMIC I’ve seen that doesn’t have proper clearance there
It is indeed a tight fit there. No worries, they provided two paper thin pads! I couldn't make any of it move though once tightened down - not sure it will get any chance to rub.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It is indeed a tight fit there. No worries, they provided two paper thin pads! I couldn't make any of it move though once tightened down - not sure it will get any chance to rub.

The drivetrain slop under hard acceleration, uphill starts, ect would be the concern. Just something to keep an eye on

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Anybody want to save me some time and tell me which stock replacement intercoolers I should be looking at? I'll read through the thread if I have to, but the little bit I've browsed here was largely about neuspeed type of intercoolers.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Anybody want to save me some time and tell me which stock replacement intercoolers I should be looking at? I'll read through the thread if I have to, but the little bit I've browsed here was largely about neuspeed type of intercoolers.
someone has the data, maybe its @Golfs everyday or @StealthGTI I forget, i think its the guy who did the ram intake performance thing, has a chart going of all the IC's

IE, Wagner, APR all good top brands

GTI jake good fmic

ebay has magic intercooler which needs modifing but has good numbers

Pretty much any/all IC upgrades are better than stock

Last edited:

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
IE, APR, Unitronic are probably the top choices. There are several generic ones out there that are probably worth getting. But since you are so strapped for time, just order the APR and call it a day.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Nothin that really stands out from the rest then? I wasn't planning on upgrading the fmic so I haven't paid any attention to them. It's getting hot though and I've had a couple pulls that felt weak.