GOLFMKV

2020 Golf R 8 spotted.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
At that angle I’d think you’d see the other two exhaust tips if it were an R with four! Also there is a blue stripe above the DRL?! No reason why they wouldn’t have bits from other models on it but It doesn’t seem to match up with other R spy shots..
Look closer at the photo of the back end: you can see the other set of exhaust tips peaking out under the bumper. The blue stripe? Perhaps VW is doing an analogous style treatment to the GTI using the traditional R blue instead of the GTI's red striping.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Look closer at the photo of the back end: you can see the other set of exhaust tips peaking out under the bumper. The blue stripe? Perhaps VW is doing an analogous style treatment to the GTI using the traditional R blue instead of the GTI's red striping.
I see what you mean, but Im not sure I can see exhaust tips the other side, the ones on the right also look too small!
Picture here at less of an angle the tips are clearly visible..
13F33961-2961-41DF-955F-93460A58A8A5.jpeg

A8ABBE50-9AE9-4025-9F69-5DF933FAC65E.jpeg
I just see the left side of the rear valance,
Yes, totally possible the R would have a blue stripe, but unlikely as the GTE is blue and the R accents in later models have always been silver/chrome.
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/01/is-this-not-very-hot-looking-hatch-the-2021-vw-golf-r-mk8/

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Something about the back end at that angle just doesn't look right to me. Less clean than the 7/7.5. Part of it is the taillights - they definitely got worse-looking to my eye. That "notch" just looks wrong. Oh well, all subjective.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Something about the back end at that angle just doesn't look right to me. Less clean than the 7/7.5. Part of it is the taillights - they definitely got worse-looking to my eye. That "notch" just looks wrong. Oh well, all subjective.
Bear in mind though that the white R has carefully placed white and gloss black vinyl intended to make it look more like the outgoing R!

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I think it's another case of VW just making a change for change sake, and not really to improve on the previous model.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
OK, did a little rummaging around on Instagram and came up with this pic of an "R Line" Mk8 Golf sitting in the factory. It's the first Mk8 that I really liked how the front end looks. Hopefully the full R will have the same good looks.

Sorry, but I’m not seeing the good looks of that R-Line, although I appreciate whether it looks good or not is subjective.

IMO there are a couple of areas that don’t really work;
  • the wide sloping section of the bumper between the narrow upper grille and the license plate. This’ll almost certainly be the same on the R. I think a more balanced look would’ve been achieved if the upper grille had been taller / deeper (top to bottom) and the sloping section of the bumper was narrower. It does look less offensive on light coloured cars IMO - like on the white ‘undisguised’ car in the link to Autocar on page 1 of this discussion thread.
  • the very large ‘wide mouthed grin’ lower grille that spans the entire width of the front of the car. Hopefully, the design on production models of the R will be different.
Also, with the very large grid style of the holes in the lower grille on the R-Line, the grill provides very little protection to the radiator / a/c condenser. I wonder how many R-Line owners will suffer damage to these components as a result of projectile stones passing through the lower grille that are thrown up by other vehicles.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
OK, did a little rummaging around on Instagram and came up with this pic of an "R Line" Mk8 Golf sitting in the factory. It's the first Mk8 that I really liked how the front end looks. Hopefully the full R will have the same good looks. http://instagr.am/p/B8GldqLoyGl/
The mk8 R front bumper probably won’t look like that going by the leaked VW training manual screenshot,
90543C38-A289-4FBF-89DF-7342F6F0CBD5.jpeg

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
like on the white ‘undisguised’ car in the link to Autocar on page 1 of this discussion thread.
There’s vinyl all over the design elements of that bumper, it’s unlikely to look much like that!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
There’s vinyl all over the design elements of that bumper, it’s unlikely to look much like that!
Agree, the lower grille section will probably be quite different - more like the lower grille section on the T-Roc R. But the wide sloping section between the number plate and the upper grille is (IMO) likely to be the same on the R as it is on all other models Life, Style, R-Line, GTI, GTE, GTD).

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
OK, did a little rummaging around on Instagram and came up with this pic of an "R Line" Mk8 Golf sitting in the factory. It's the first Mk8 that I really liked how the front end looks. Hopefully the full R will have the same good looks. http://instagr.am/p/B8GldqLoyGl/

This does like far better than every other iteration of the MK8 that I have seen.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
OK, did a little rummaging around on Instagram and came up with this pic of an "R Line" Mk8 Golf sitting in the factory. It's the first Mk8 that I really liked how the front end looks. Hopefully the full R will have the same good looks.
Al, I think you are correct -- i.e., that the R Line will be a mirror image of the forthcoming R. Stated somewhat differently, I believe that's exactly what VW AG is seeking to achieve with the R Line, make the less expensive Golf look like the R.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Al, I think you are correct -- i.e., that the R Line will be a mirror image of the forthcoming R. Stated somewhat differently, I believe that's exactly what VW AG is seeking to achieve with the R Line, make the less expensive Golf look like the R.
I think the lower grille section of the front bumper will be more aggressive on the R than it is on the R-Line.

VW have made the lower bumper on the T-Roc R more aggressive than it is on the R-Line, so I think the same approach will be applied to the Golf.

T-Roc R-Line;
A8593AA0-29A5-410B-8015-C09DB97F4FD0.png

T-Roc R;
49722C08-7F0D-4DD0-9317-396220D904AB.png

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
We already know the the GTI, GTD and GTE look (front and rear) EXACTLY as they appear in the VW training screenshot, even the KW figures are spot on so we know it’s accurate! Therefor we can safely assume that the R will look as it does in the same screenshot, why then are some speculating it will look like the R-line?????‍♂️