GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 R or e39 540 M sport

jits

I think I may stick with the R. Mostly because if it’s 4 motion since I live in the NE.

I'm leaning towards the R. It's such a good daily driver for the Northeast. The weather, the roads, the potholes... and as a '18 you have less concerns/issues (also the warranty).

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 21 year old bmw as well (2.8l z3 5spd), but no way I'd daily the thing. Unless you know what's been done or you're doing it yourself almost every piece of plastic and rubber will need replacing.

Safety tech isn't nearly as nice as well, but that raw driving feel would be something you'd gain. I wouldn't want to daily something that has really old airbags, either.

Since you already have your nice weekend car I'd personally stick with the R. You're also asking on a golf forum, but I think you may get similar responses on bimmerfest or the like.

Born_Into_This

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 R
If you don't have winters go with the E39.

Just picked up a low mileage E46 M3, forgot just how good BMW's of that era are. I will be getting rid of the R and buying some sort of winter beater that I don't have to think about much (V8 4Runner + some serious undercoating).

As for the infotainment, you can pick up an Avin Avant 4 headunit with full Carplay/Android capability for around $370. I don't like any of the other tech on newer cars so I'm pretty happy atm :) Integrates perfectly with anything you might have including parking sensors and backup camera, and the Carplay can be used wirelessly if desired.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
That Avin stuff is hot garbage. I still frequent the ZHPmafia forum and those things have been floating around for ages, and are all kinds of headaches.

If I still had an E46 or E39 I'd go with something from Sony or Pioneer before ever touching any of that Chinese Android crap. But hey that's just me. If the Avin unit is working well for you, more power to ya.

Born_Into_This

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 R
That Avin stuff is hot garbage. I still frequent the ZHPmafia forum and those things have been floating around for ages, and are all kinds of headaches.

If I still had an E46 or E39 I'd go with something from Sony or Pioneer before ever touching any of that Chinese Android crap. But hey that's just me. If the Avin unit is working well for you, more power to ya.

Wouldn't knock the Avant 4 until you try it. I have it installed and have nothing to complain about, previous versions were not great but they have improved significantly. Its good enough that I would sooner say the Sony and Pioneer stuff is comparatively hot garbage - plus they never look OEM. With the wireless integration as soon as I start the car Apple Carplay boots automatically and works perfectly.

IanStrictlyEuropean

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I own a 2002 540iA Touring (had a 01 540i M Sport 6 Speed prior), and a MK7 R. For daily driving and all around convenience there is no comparison, R all the way all day. Things like satellite radio, auto cruise control, awd, etc., just make it too hard to think of driving my wagon every day. That being said, there is something about a bigger body German auto that just feels *right* when driving.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Keep the R if it’s just the 540i.

However if it’s an E39 M5, I might.