GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BOOST LEAK??? FAILED DV???? vw problems someone help

slowmk6

i have a mk6 gti, tuned, thought i had a boost leak cause i started to hear a weird whooshing type noise, lost about 4 psi. (was pushing 20.5 psi) now getting about 16. but no check engine light. and the turbo sounds normal till its under extreme load. ie pedal to the floor lol. could that be the diverter valve? no loss in fuel economy or anything else. car drives normal. **DSG automatic** ive tried to get under the car to see if i can access the turbo to check the DV, and i was going to build a custom boost leak tester. was wondering if anyone has experienced the same problems? really dont wanna take it back into the shop ):

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Has the weather changed? It’s normal for peak boost to drop when it’s cold.

Do you VagCom or OBd11 so you can do some logs?

slowmk6

Has the weather changed? It’s normal for peak boost to drop when it’s cold.

Do you VagCom or OBd11 so you can do some logs?

i live in alabama so the weather is BIPOLAR asf, and i have an accessport for logs. im really confused, ive started to think its the wastegate....

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Get under the car and check your intercooler piping. Ive had the hoses come off creating a loud wooshing when in boost.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Theres a few issues with the waste gate, the arm can have some play and result in waste gate rattle but it doesnt really affect anything. Theres a TSB to install a clip to stop the rattle. Also the wastegate flapper can be become worn and go bad not allowing it to seal properly which basically results in a loss of boost and p0299 code. The noticeable wooshing sound with loss of boost leads me to believe you have an air leak somewhere as my first instinct. The o-ring and bayonet coupler w/clip style intercooler setup these engines have is not the best imo and are prone to coming loose or leaking past the o-rings (which are replaceable)

slowmk6

Theres a few issues with the waste gate, the arm can have some play and result in waste gate rattle but it doesnt really affect anything. Theres a TSB to install a clip to stop the rattle. Also the wastegate flapper can be become worn and go bad not allowing it to seal properly which basically results in a loss of boost and p0299 code. The noticeable wooshing sound with loss of boost leads me to believe you have an air leak somewhere as my first instinct. The o-ring and bayonet coupler w/clip style intercooler setup these engines have is not the best imo and are prone to coming loose or leaking past the o-rings (which are replaceable)
very very helpful, i really appreciate it, when i get off work im gonna get home and get under my car and figure this out. i thought about making a homemade boost leak tester but first im gonna check these hoses and clamps and make sure i dont have a hole in my intercooler ):

slowmk6

**update** found the problem, the hose going from my turbo into my intercooler was almost completely off. the clamp was so loose i could twirl it around the hose over and over again. tightened the hose back around the pipe and tightened the clamp. HARD. drove it around and it sounds normal and im hitting my target boost. thanks phoenix for the assistance!