GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension Help

JohnTuga

Hey all new on this forum! I’ve had my MK6 GTI for about 3 years now almost 4 and i’m planning on lowering it. Im looking for about an inch or so drop, nothing too low. Roads are kinda crappy around here in NJ. I was looking at B12 Sportline Cup Kit from Bilstein and it lowers 1.2 all around. Is there any other good ones? Running stock wheels.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Are you replacing the shocks and struts also?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Why not go with some ST coilovers? New they run about $850. They are suppose to be great for DD.

JohnTuga

Why not go with some ST coilovers? New they run about $850. They are suppose to be great for DD.
Hm they don’t look bad drop wise. Max it can go is 1.6 which isn’t bad for what i’m looking for. Do you know how the ride is and is ST one of the better brands?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I don’t have personal experience with them but I have a set waiting to go on ?. HYDE16 has them and he is NJ and say they do great. ST is a parent company ofKW which makes some awesome stuff. They are just missing KW’s signature Inox coating which is pricey but very nice.

Other things about them that would lean more toward comfort is:

Progressive spring rate
Twin tube design
Reasonable drop

Springs are always an option but if your buying new shocks (as you should) then I usually recommend just getting some coilovers. The dampers match the spring rates and you can dial in the exact height you want. You can also raise it in the winter.

JohnTuga

I don’t have personal experience with them but I have a set waiting to go on ?. HYDE16 has them and he is NJ and say they do great. ST is a parent company ofKW which makes some awesome stuff. They are just missing KW’s signature Inox coating which is pricey but very nice.

Other things about them that would lean more toward comfort is:

Progressive spring rate
Twin tube design
Reasonable drop

Springs are always an option but if your buying new shocks (as you should) then I usually recommend just getting some coilovers. The dampers match the spring rates and you can dial in the exact height you want. You can also raise it in the winter.
This is all true. Is not having that coating going to make the struts rust? Or any part of the suspension for that matter? We do get snow here sometimes so wondering if salt and all those things are going to affect it.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
They do have a rust coating on them and knowing how KW is I would expect it to be a good one compared to other manufactures. Will it hold up as well as true KW’s no but depending on how many miles you drive and if you take the time to clean the salt off of them I would expect to hold up great.

The Inox coating is wonderful. I had a set on my Civic that I bought used use it for 2 winters and when I took them off and cleaned them they had zero rust. Just looked lightly used

JohnTuga

They do have a rust coating on them and knowing how KW is I would expect it to be a good one compared to other manufactures. Will it hold up as well as true KW’s no but depending on how many miles you drive and if you take the time to clean the salt off of them I would expect to hold up great.

The Inox coating is wonderful. I had a set on my Civic that I bought used use it for 2 winters and when I took them off and cleaned them they had zero rust. Just looked lightly used
Either the ST’s or the KW V2 coilovers? They both have about the same drop which is like .8 and thats the highest it goes which is ideal for me. Then it can be dropped to an inch and it’ll be perfect. But should I spend the extra money and get KW or go with the brother brand?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Either the ST’s or the KW V2 coilovers? They both have about the same drop which is like .8 and thats the highest it goes which is ideal for me. Then it can be dropped to an inch and it’ll be perfect. But should I spend the extra money and get KW or go with the brother brand?

KW is the better one but is it worth the extra cost? Some questions to ask yourself:

How many miles do you drive a year?
How long are you planning on keeping the car?
If you sell the car will you take the time to remove the Coilover and sell them?
How much winter driving do you actually do? (We haven’t had any snow this year in DE not sure about NJ).

I think for the price the ST’s are a great bargain. How much more are the KW’s?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
This is all true. Is not having that coating going to make the struts rust? Or any part of the suspension for that matter? We do get snow here sometimes so wondering if salt and all those things are going to affect it.
The ST's will rust/corrode on the surface if they see salt.

The adjuster perch is composite so it won't really seize up, but the threads "could" get nasty/booger'd up if you don't have anti-seize or something on them.

What I used to do....put the ST's on in the summer and then stock suspension back on for winter (to protect them/keep them clean).

Example: