GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Golf R 8 spotted.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Love the avatar, although a huge blow today about Son. But maybe you missed it, the UK is no longer part of Europe. Stick with a LHD RS3, I'd normally recommend Germany, but they seem intent on killing the Autobahn, nowhere is safe!
The UK is part of Europe! We are in the continent of Europe and are European! We are no longer members of the EU.. the petrol, diesel and hybrid ban will eventually be Europe wide, the original date was to be 2040-50 but that has been brought forward apparently! Some other countries will implement the ban before the UK though, as long as all electric cars are Porsche taycans It’ll be fine!! ?

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Oh I know. Was mostly kidding. You guys have never really felt like part of the EU anyway. The beauty of the mainland is the ease of getting across borders. Aside from having to remember to obey speed limits, leaving Germany when I worked there was surprisingly easy as long as I wasn't going to Switzerland or the Czech Republic.
The upcoming Audi eTron GT should be very similar to the Taycan, only cheaper.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Imagine they do shove that to us, but didnt give us MPI lol
Dual port injection was deleted from the later mk7.5 Golf R’s in the UK, and (I think) the Golf GTI too, and a GPF added at the same time, in order to achieve certification under WLTP emissions and fuel consumptions testing.

So in the UK, 2019 (and later) model year Golf R’s and GTi’s didn’t have port injection, and they did have a GPF. European R’s and GTI’s are the same.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I like the front.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The the forthcoming mk8 Golf GTI’s fog lights remind me of the fog lights on Kia’s Pro Ceed (don’t know if this Kia is sold in US / Canada)

AD5BAF73-36E5-44CD-8F02-57CD4117F816.jpeg

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
It just reminds me of the "Flame Surfacing" BMW language of the mid 2000s; especially the fabric-bodied concept they cranked out, which would have been cool if it recalled, say, the Fokker DR1, but it didn't... If Hyundai had interpreted that design language, I feel they'd have cranked out something looking like this car.

The interior still looks like something out of a base model, econobox interpretation of a Mazda.

The MK7/7.5 is almost an entirely balanced vehicle from a design perspective, with the interior of a car that costs over twice as much and will never look out of date. It's already well behind the times and it still holds up aesthetically and ergonomically.

They tried to give the MK8 an ass, but it just didn't work, in my estimation. Instead of being cut short, it just looks broken off now; artificial, rather than organic.

All that said, the current models look a hell of a lot better in person than they do in pictures, so we'll see.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
It just reminds me of the "Flame Surfacing" BMW language of the mid 2000s;

Loudly jeered at the time, but it seems that the much-maligned E60 M5 styling has aged gracefully and is now more or less accepted as looking good. Still doesn't work to my eye, but also doesn't seem as hideous as it did back then. Same for the 7-series and its "Bangle butt".

But they did get it right on one car, though it didn't really come together until they put a roof on it, 3 years into production..

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The exterior is starting to grow on me, if only the interior was tidied up and looked more like the Polo's inside....
The problem is, when the Polo gets its mid life facelift (probably next year?), the bean counters within VW ivory towers will be looking to cut costs, so it’ll probably get an interior like the mk8 Golf, complete with the touchscreen overload!
It just reminds me of the "Flame Surfacing" BMW language of the mid 2000s; especially the fabric-bodied concept they cranked out, which would have been cool if it recalled, say, the Fokker DR1, but it didn't... If Hyundai had interpreted that design language, I feel they'd have cranked out something looking like this car.

The interior still looks like something out of a base model, econobox interpretation of a Mazda.

The MK7/7.5 is almost an entirely balanced vehicle from a design perspective, with the interior of a car that costs over twice as much and will never look out of date. It's already well behind the times and it still holds up aesthetically and ergonomically.

They tried to give the MK8 an ass, but it just didn't work, in my estimation. Instead of being cut short, it just looks broken off now; artificial, rather than organic.

All that said, the current models look a hell of a lot better in person than they do in pictures, so we'll see.

I think that because the all-electric ID3 and the mk8 Golf were being developed at the same time, with all electric cars becoming an increasingly important market for car manufacturers, the ID3 probably had a significantly larger development budget than the mk8 Golf, and in certain areas (interior), IMO it shows.

If the future is all-electric (some countries banning the sale of petrol, diesel and hybrid cars in 10-15 years time), what does that mean for the future of the Golf?

Will there be an all electric Golf? Unlikely IMO as it would be a direct competitor to the ID3. Which leads on to the question, will there be a mk9 Golf? Interesting times ahead.................

Last edited: