GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to Switch From Unitronic

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
Hello everyone, just want to get some extra feedback on a decision I’ve been pondering. Right now my car stands with the following modifications:
Unitronic stage 2 ECU/TCU
IE intake
APR TIP
GFB DV+
IE TMD
Unitronic catted DP
AWE track exhaust

I know Unitronic was always considered the OEM+/mild tune, but after driving it for some time, I now know what that means. I have a Unitronic Intercooler that I will be installing once the winter months end and was thinking about getting an Accessport and Stratified Protune. I plan on keeping the TCU tune althoughI drive the car in manual mode solely. With the new intercooler and the Stratified Tune, will I notice a difference. I know this is the game changer but I will be doing IS38 sooner or later. I don’t necessarily mind losing the $700 or so spent on the Unitronic Tune, just wanted to hear from others who have switched. I’m just so use to the car now that I feel let down at times. Please ease my mind and tell me the Protune will be a difference.

Adam

gti925

Passed Driver's Ed
I made the switch and have no regrets. I'm in California though and to run Uni stage 2 here, I had to mix E85 into every tank in order to get my octane up. It got to be a pain in the butt.

I switched to EQT and I make more power on 91 octane than I did with Uni on E25 (2.5 gallon of E85 per tank), but it runs a lot more boost (27 psi peak vs 21 for Uni) .

The Uni tune is very smooth and overall I think it's a nice tune that runs way less boost to achieve pretty good numbers. Since you don't have to mix gas to run it, I'd consider keeping it. The Cobb is vastly superior when it comes to datalogging and flexibility though. If you think a turbo upgrade or running blended gas like E30 or E40 is in your future, it's worth switching. Really looking forward to the EQT E30 base map. I just hope that the Uni DSG tune can hold the torque.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I just switch from Unitronic to EQT... Absolutely no regrets

gti925

Passed Driver's Ed
Uni on E25 is purple. EQT on 91 is green.

Attachments

• eqt-dyno.jpg
    eqt-dyno.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 1,011

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My only recommendation would be to do the is38 and retune at the same time. No reason to pro tune twice if you’re ultimately going that route anyway.

Ed of EQT is considered to be the best of the best for Cobb pro tuning, so do your homework on where your money is best spent there

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I went with Cobb and EQT tuning pro tune by Ed and couldn't be happier. if you're doing is38 anyway (which you shouldn't imo, step up to a hybrid or at least get LITTCO L380) then do both at the same time.

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
I’d be open to a hybrid. But beside the Littco, what are my other options. If we’re talking double the price of a stock IS38, then I may be against it. Have had my car barely 2 years and racked up 35,000 miles. To make a hefty investment like that to run it ragged, I don’t know if I can commit to that.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’d be open to a hybrid. But beside the Littco, what are my other options. If we’re talking double the price of a stock IS38, then I may be against it. Have had my car barely 2 years and racked up 35,000 miles. To make a hefty investment like that to run it ragged, I don’t know if I can commit to that.

FCP Euro has is38 with a lifetime warranty for $950ish.

Double that roughly for EQT Vortex which is the best bang for your buck considering quality/price/performance.

Totally different ballgame between the two as far as power potential so keep that in mind when comparing pricing. The is38 isn’t as reliable and realistically good for 360whp on 93.

To take full advantage of the EQT you’ll need a HPFP or LPFP, MPI, and ideally E85 (blend like e50).

Really not an apples to apples comparison, but both options to weigh in on for sure.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

It sounds like you want more power with as minimum of cost as possible in which case I would go with the Littco L380 and an EQT protune or remote dyno tune. You'll be near 400 HP with that setup.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I just say giacs facebook, they dyno’d an A3 that made 290/323 on their e85 tune, completely stock.

Not sure how that stacks up to the EQT or other tunes, but just throwing more info on the table.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI

A custom tune will let you crank up the boost versus your UNI tune, if you're planning to go IS38 or something larger eventually roll the high boost dice.

An option that I'm using is the Shuenk IS38+. Same size as an IS38 with beefier parts. I dismiss statements about reliability for any turbo coming from a forum. FCP Euro offers that lifetime warranty and Shuenk has a 2 year warranty on the IS38+.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I just switch from Unitronic to EQT... Absolutely no regrets
And I'm still waiting for your impressions. ;-)
Don't let these naysayers bring you down, the Uni tune is nice and safe, they just want you to join the dark side, the fun side.....

gti925

Passed Driver's Ed
You can always stack JB4 + Uni as well. @marc5800 did it with good results. I considered doing that but we have shit gas out here.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
You can always stack JB4 + Uni as well. @marc5800 did it with good results. I considered doing that but we have shit gas out here.
Decent results. Ran 12.4 @ 114mph

It was good for what it was. I liked the ability to log with the JB4 and the ease of switching maps (Uni only, mild stack, aggressive stack) on a phone.

Now protuned and I think it’s faster (even if it isn’t a GTI)